Thought Of A New Way To Rout Neck Pocket....

Or you can go all out (my interpretation of Myka's neck jig) :D

This thing works a treat. It was relatively simple to build (with scrap aluminum track from a server rack I had).

Set the neck angle; clamp the body lining up the centerline; align and clamp the neck between the two rails; set the short crossmember to stop the router base at the rear; and tighten down the knobs.

neckpocketjig2.jpg

DC Ross - love this jig. 2 questions:

- since I don't have a server rack sitting around, do you have any suggestions where I might pick up some of that t-track...don't remember seeing it at Depot

- what would I use to cut it to length? I assume you also had to smooth the edges with something (ok that was an extra question)?

Or you can go all out (my interpretation of Myka's neck jig) :D

This thing works a treat. It was relatively simple to build (with scrap aluminum track from a server rack I had).

Set the neck angle; clamp the body lining up the centerline; align and clamp the neck between the two rails; set the short crossmember to stop the router base at the rear; and tighten down the knobs.

neckpocketjig2.jpg

DC Ross - love this jig. 2 questions:

- since I don't have a server rack sitting around, do you have any suggestions where I might pick up some of that t-track...don't remember seeing it at Depot

- what would I use to cut it to length? I assume you also had to smooth the edges with something (ok that was an extra question)?

I too would love some more detailed instructions on this one.

As long as it's non-ferous metal (that looks like aluminum, so you that's fine) you can cut it on the same tools you use for wood. I'd personally size all that up on my tablesaw as it'll give a better cut surface than my bandsaw (but use a fine tooth blade here, pretty much any small blade... just avoid using your resaw blades hahahah). As for smoothing out the edges, a little sandpaper to remove any burrs left by cutting is all you'll really need... if that.

I too would like a source for this server track stuff! :D

Chris

Thanks guys, I've been working on documenting all of my jigs in my "spare time" :D

Like Chris says, it's aluminum and can be cut with woodworking tools, but it'll dull them. I used a non-ferrous metal cutting blade in my chop saw to cut it and an old, junky file to smooth the edges.

As for where to find the track, I bought two server racks at a going out of business sale. Rockler has something similar, but they're definitely not cheap.

As for where to find the track, I bought two server racks at a going out of business sale. Rockler has something similar, but they're definitely not cheap.

Man, you're right, they are proud of that stuff.

Now, maybe combine it with some ideas from this and we have the ultimate jig for planing and neck pockets!

I can find lots of places selling the small t-track stuff you have in the base, but the wide stuff is not to be found.

planingjig2.jpg

Thanks guys, I've been working on documenting all of my jigs in my "spare time" :D

Like Chris says, it's aluminum and can be cut with woodworking tools, but it'll dull them. I used a non-ferrous metal cutting blade in my chop saw to cut it and an old, junky file to smooth the edges.

I cut aluminum all the time. It should not dull the blade any more than wood does. However if you use the wrong blade to cut aluminum you will have a harder time of it. It cuts easly on a bandsaw as well.

DC Ross - do you remember what kind of server rack you got that from. Just curious so that I know what to be on the lookout for. Thanks.