Spanning Frets

daveq

Dave,

if it's a large inlay I cut it before I inlay it, for one reason, if you just recut the fret slot afterwards, first of all it's very hard to do, but the tangs on the frets will crack the shell if you don't grind the shell back after you cut the slot. If you're using synthetic materials it isn't as big an issue as they're softer and won't crack. I learned about this the hard way unfortunately :D

I normally re-cut after, or have the luthier do it.

There are benefits to both methods, especially when inlaying into a fretboard with a binding on it already.

You'll be forced to go through the nice clean binding if you re-slot it with a saw.

I have seen it done both ways, cutting the slot previouse to inlaying it takes longer, and more acuracy, but the results are worth it when it comes to refret jobs and general maintenance.

Craig

Thanks LGM, Clavin -

So once I re-cut the slot, I need to remove a bit of the shell (keeping it hidden under the fret's width) to prevent cracking?

Just curious, how do these guys handle something like #184:

Click on #184

Is this likely done in chunks between frets? Would that much shell change the tone of the guitar?

I am not a PRS lover but I really like the look of that guitar.

Thanks LGM, Clavin -

So once I re-cut the slot, I need to remove a bit of the shell (keeping it hidden under the fret's width) to prevent cracking?

Just curious, how do these guys handle something like #184:

Click on #184

Is this likely done in chunks between frets? Would that much shell change the tone of the guitar?

I am not a PRS lover but I really like the look of that guitar.

You simply glue the frets in. Best to remove the tangs first though.

Rhoads56 is right.

The most common way to work with spanning inlay through the frets is to inlay normally, re-slot the fret line, then back-bevel the inlay a bit to remove some shell so the frets don't crack it going in, remove the tangs from the frets and then glue in place.

Cutting the inlay with the fret slots in mind takes a lot longer, but the payback is the fretboard is completely workable after the inlay is installed.

I plan on doing this from here on out depending on how busy I get. Right now my waiting list is only about 2 months, but it's geting to be longer.

The inlay shouldn't effect the tone at all, although with a fully inlaid board like that PRS there is no wood left. It may make the board feel different, I would think faster, your playing surface is all shell and stone.

Craig