Hello And Question

Hi All,

This is my first post as I ponder trying to learn to build my own guitar, and really woodworking in general! I live in Florida Orlando / Tampa and always feel that if I just was able to almost apprentice for someone, or watch / help as they do this stuff, it would be so much easier to pick up then just reading about it and trying to figure out the nuances. Are these types of opportunities available...is it considered lame to ask someone to watch them do this??

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Those positions are slim at best, For myself to have another person in my garage/shop they would just be in the way. Not knowing what your skills are, and assuming you are starting with zero woodworking experience, heres my advice: You might fare better working with a friend who's a Carpenter, Home Builder etc. Or better yet, apprentice in a Cabinet Shop, just sweeping up and taking out the trash will place you in the environment. A lot of cabinetry relates to guitar building. And you may be able to ask questions, learn from pros and possibly take home scrap pieces to practice on. YOu'll accuire Tolls as you need them along the way. Guitar makers are picky, selective people. working varying hours, mostly from their home. I am one myself. You can and will learn a bunch hanging out here on this forum and others forums like it. Oh and Welcome, I hope I didnt put you off on the whole idea thing. Sometimes the best way to get somewhere isnt exactly a straight line. -Vinny