Seven String Build

So this is going to be my first attempt at building a seven string and neck through electric. I finished drawing the plans today.

guitar001-1.jpg

Specs:

Wood: I am thinking Black walnut and either tamarack or maple for the neck.

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Full Shred

Electronics: 1 vol. and 2 tone knobs

Tuners: Gotoh Schaller-style tuning pegs

Nut: Camel bone

Bridge: Fixed bridge off Ebay

Finish: hand rubbed Danish or Tung Oil

Fretboard: Black walnut but Stewmac's Pyramid frets

Truss Rod: I will build a dual action truss rod on Monday

I plan on cutting the wood on Monday and going from there. The body and headstock are of my own design. I had some trouble with the neck dimensions because there just isn't much info on the internet on seven string measurments so the neck is subject to change to some point or another in this build

-Ryan-

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some material considerations BEFORE you start cutting:

Black walnut is probably not hard enough to use as a fingerboard, as it is about 30% softer than Hard Maple and 40% softer than East Indian Rosewood. It would likely wear easily and the frets might work themselves loose after a couple seasons of fingerboard expansion and contraction.

It will also make a very heavy body wood if it's the only thing you use, as it is about 40% heavier than Alder and 30% heavier than Mahogany. You CAN use it for a body, but it's bound to make your shoulders sore. It makes a lovely top wood for electric bodies, though! I've used it for top plates with great success in the past. Perhaps pair it with a lighter back to reduce the weight and keep its tonal presence?

The neck: I would choose maple over Tamarack. Although most kinds of Tamarack are nice and stiff and strong, many species are veeery soft (i.e., some are nearly as soft as western red cedar) and prone to nicks and dings. Being as this guitar will be a neck-through, you definitely want to make sure you never have to replace the neck, because you basically can't: it needs to be perfect on the first try, and it can't age poorly. (This applies to the walnut fingerboard too.)

StewMac pyramid frets: I like these better than their super duper jumbo frets because they're quicker to level and re-crown, but their Medium-width/highest fretwire is essentially the same height and easier to bend by hand if you don't have a fret-bending machine. It's very close to 6105 fretwire. If you're bending by hand, you might consider the medium/highest instead of the pyramid just because it's easier to work with.

Black walnut is probably not hard enough to use as a fingerboard ... It would likely wear easily and the frets might work themselves loose after a couple seasons of fingerboard expansion and contraction.

It will also make a very heavy body wood if it's the only thing you use ... You CAN use it for a body, but it's bound to make your shoulders sore. It makes a lovely top wood for electric bodies, though!

Not to be rude or anything but, in my opinion, walnut works great for both fretboards and bodies. I have built two strats out of walnut and they sounded great and were slightly heavier than a strat (my prefrance compared to a rip your arm off from weight les paul) about the expansion and contraction, I live in northern Minnesota where the humidity and temp. are never the same one day to the next it can be 70 degrees in the summer with high humidity then the next day have very low humidity and in the winter it ranges from -40 to 30 degrees farenheight with very low humidity so it's is hard to keep wood in the same range (esspecially seeing as I use three different shops in my area) but besides all that I have never seen a guitar where the frets came loose on a walnut fretboard. I got the idea to use the wood as a fretboard from Kevin Skaja (Skaja Guitars) who builds acoustics with walnut fretboards and I have never seen one of his guitars frets come loose over seasons. I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just going with my personal experience on this one. And yes walnut does make beautiful tops especially with maple binding. :D

The neck: I would choose maple over Tamarack. Although most kinds of Tamarack are nice and stiff and strong, many species are veeery soft ... Being as this guitar will be a neck-through, you definitely want to make sure you never have to replace the neck, because you basically can't: it needs to be perfect on the first try, and it can't age poorly. (This applies to the walnut fingerboard too.)

Yeah the tamarack I have is pretty freaking hard, I looked up and compared it with maple and white ash (the book was printed talking about trees native to Minnesota so I know what to expect out of native woods instead of say maple from some other state, there are differences) and they were almost identicle and I want to try using it, I have thought about the fact that it would be kind of hard to replace it, unless I took the guitar to a band or table saw to cut the center out. :D

I might just end up using it for the body wings though like I said before I haven't fully decided what wood goes where yet.

StewMac pyramid frets: I like these better than their super duper jumbo frets (agreed B) ) ... If you're bending by hand, you might consider the medium/highest instead of the pyramid just because it's easier to work with.

The reason I chose these frets is I have never seen them on anything and I am curious as to if they are any good, and seeing as I am keeping this guitar and not selling it I thought it would be the best one to try them out on. I do bend by hand (no point in buying a modified can opener for $90 when I can do it myself) but I don't just hammer or press them in, I fill the slot with super glue then "slide" my hammer across the fret with even pressure and then squeeze clamp a radius block equal to the FB radius to it and let the glue dry. Doing this I have only had to level one fretboard (my first neck) and yes i do check the frets with a straight edge when I'm done to double check it.

Thats one nice looking shape. What pickups are you using

Thanks and I'm using Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbuckers http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=full+shred

Well, it was just a guess as to whether or not the walnut would work as a fingerboard! If you've tried it and you know it works, then I'm just straight up wrong about how hard a fingerboard needs to be. (Gluing the frets in would certainly help, as you do!)

For the body, I know that Carvin makes walnut-bodied neck-through guitars too (DC400W). It's not like it can't be done... they just aren't very light! :D

What kind of tamarack do you have access to where you live? (Which species?)

I love the pyramid fretwire once it's on the instrument. I've used it on 5 of the electrics I've built for myself. My only gripe is that it's no fun to bend compared to something skinnier.

Well, it was just a guess as to whether or not the walnut would work as a fingerboard! If you've tried it and you know it works, then I'm just straight up wrong about how hard a fingerboard needs to be. (Gluing the frets in would certainly help, as you do!)

For the body, I know that Carvin makes walnut-bodied neck-through guitars too (DC400W). It's not like it can't be done... they just aren't very light! :D

What kind of tamarack do you have access to where you live? (Which species?)

I love the pyramid fretwire once it's on the instrument. I've used it on 5 of the electrics I've built for myself. My only gripe is that it's no fun to bend compared to something skinnier.

I apreciate the opinion though because since you mentioned about the different species I decided to do a bit more research and I'm glad I did because the tamrack I looked at before was different from what I have so thanks just goes to show it's best to double check everything :D . the species I have, as far as I can tell is Larix laricina I could be wrong though seeing as it was originally bought as tounge and groove paneling and couple years ago for a house my dad built. The wood has been sitting in storage for a year now so it is good and dry. And about the heavy body I know it will be slightly heavier than most but I'm used to les paul style guitars so I'm used to heavier guitars and to me a walnut guitar is light. If you want I can post some pics of the boards so you have an idea of what I'm using.

Got the wood mostly set today. As of now I am planning on using the tamarack for the body wings and then just putting a walnut top on that. I will post pics of the walnut later (camera is not working quite right).

Here is the tamarack.

Guitars2.jpg

Guitars1.jpg

I am going to use maple for the neck and I will laminate some walnut strips up the neck length to. Here is the maple.

Guitars.jpg

Guitars3.jpg

I bought some Minwax ebony stain today. I plan on trying it out and if I don't like it simply sand it off and start again with that. The neck will still be oiled though.

guitar001-2.jpg

Got the neck glued up today. I'm hoping to plane it tomorow and get the body wings glued tomorow.

100_1879.jpg

100_1878.jpg

And this is where I do all my work.

100_1883.jpg

100_1880.jpg

I decided that I didn't like the way the ebony stain looked on the walnut and tamarack so I decided to just put a hand rubbed danish oil finish on it seeing as I can't find my tung oil.

Just finished planing and cutting the top wood. Learned planing when it's really windy out isn't fun when you have sawdust blowing is your eyes. Anyways been working on this all day trying to catch up a bit. Here is some pics of the top wood.

Rough cut

Use2.jpg

I just taped the walnut to the plywood so there was more wood going through the planer

Use21.jpg

After planing

Use23.jpg

Use24.jpg

I have some flamed Hicory somewhere that if I can find it i might put it between the walnut what do you guys think?

Now Im really impressed!!!! How did you manage to take this picture while the camera was on the table???!!

Seriously though, looks like this is shaping up nicely. Cant wait to see this come together.

Thanks it always is good to know people like your work.

mirrors ha no I couldn't find my camera so I tryed to use that one but it didnt work for some reason and then go figure I found my camera on the table under some papers :D

Anyways I got the top wood cut out today. The one piece just looks lighter due to the lighting in the room. I am planning on getting the neck cut out and getting the headstock glued on and cut this week as well. Here are some pictures of the top

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg