3D CAD TIPS

I design my custom guitars in 3D Studio Max 5.0, which is a good program for the task, especially because it is comatible to Autocad and has a very advanced material editor which allowed me to do a realistic quilted maple top with a shiny sunburst finish. It is a very complicated program aiming at the pro though. It is usually used for making rendered films and animations for Videogames and TV.

Dont expect to simply draw a guitar....You really have to learn the program first, but it allows to draw virtually EVERYTHING, as can be seen in many commercial films and games. Another downside is it's high price....but if you only need it for private use and dont want to sell/show the pictures to customers you could get a pirated version.... :D

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

practice, practice, practice. learn all you can about a program and keep learning it. get books about the programs, take classes at a college. if you have the time the more you learn about the program and keep using it the easy it is to create in it. but first you have to deciede what program you want to use. I know off the top of my head there is solidwork and pro e and auto cad. Ive used proe I like it kinda hard at times. its the most powerful, Ive heard solidworks is really good too, autocad is ok for 3d cad best for 2d tho. just take ur time and pick a program and leanr it.and getting frustrated is part of the game. cuz soemtimes it doesnt always render the shape how you want it.

draw the body shape. use polyline to draw the shape. extruded the shape to as deep as you want. the hardest part for me is drawing the shape of the body and gettign it to look right. you can practice simpler shapes till you feel better bout doing more complex ones. if i had my book i could help more but i dont have it on me. hope this helps some cuz this is all i remember off the top of my head

Yeah, the extrude command is the best way to get the basic shape going. Looks like a body just bansawed out of a blank. Just a question, why do you want to do 3D drawings of your guitar. As far as templates for building they're almost useless. If you're shape is going to be some kind of carved top it will almost take less time to make a junk one out of plywood or something to see if the shape is right. If your set on doing it in the computer for a carve you basically have to draw out the negative shape of the dome and use the subtract command. You can then use the 3D fillet to smooth it up some. Also make sure to set your "Facetres" command to the highest setting to see the true shape. Otherwise it will look blocky. Do you have any CAD experience to start. If not you should really take time to learn some of the 2D basics before getting into 3D drawing. It's a whole different ball o' wax.

To get the rounded edges on the body use the 3D fillet command. You'll have to put in what radius you want to use and pick the two faces you want rounded together.

I run SolidWorks 2003. It's absolutely amazing. I can sit here and draw all night, then email the assemblies/parts to my machine shop where he can cut them immediately (4-axis machine...nice). My patent atty. also has SolidWorks, so it makes communication between all three of us very easy.

I started in TurboCAD, then graduated to AutoCAD (which I hated), but now I'm very happy with SolidWorks. I better be; it's a $16,000 piece of software. :-P

For the record, I'm not an engineer and I've only been into CAD the last 2 years or so. And, I've never drawn a guitar in SolidWorks. :-)

It just takes some practice. The commands and features are similar in AC2002 and SW2003. Play around with simple pieces, then work on more complicated things (like a NASA satellite. LOL). I'm not a SW pro, but if you need a hand, let me know. I'll try to help out.