Stain And Tru Oil Problem

Small problem

mahogany body

used minwax prestain conditioner, then stained, then put a coat of truoil over the stain

any idea why the stain is coming off when I rub on the tru oil???

It's oil based.

I let dry 24 hours

any suggestions????

the stain is Behlen solar lux stain

maybe it isn't oil based. Has strange ingredients

ethanol, acetone, water, and a lot of poly somethings and blah blah enes

the oil is just picking up the excess stain is all

what you need to do is apply the tru-oil in a way that wont disturb the stain, rubbing will alway lift some of the colour

best off spraying some coats with a preval sprayer or similar (assuming you dont have a spray set-up)

Actually, out of the three ingredients mentioned, the Solar Lux (to me) is the superior product of the three.

The Minwax conditioner was not needed, and most likely stopped the Solar Lux from truly penetrating the pores of the Mahogany, severely lessening the positive attributes of the dye product.

In this case, 'conditioner' is a fancy word for 'sealer coat'.

A sealer coat seals off the pores of the wood from anything you happen put on top of it.

You sealed the wood (by using the Minwax conditioner first) against the very dye you bought to dye it (basically).

I'm sure it colored, but not nearly like it would have if you applied the Solar Lux directly onto the bare wood itself.

it's sort of like hiring a professional runner to run a sprint for you, then nailing his shoes down to the starting line, the two products are working against themselves somewhat.

The Solar Lux (I'm guessing) is coming off because it never got to penetrate the wood in the first place, it's sort of just sitting on top of the Minwax, and the Tru-Oil is picking it up for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

that makes sense.

is there any kind of prep to do before staining? (besides sanding of course)

Actually, out of the three ingredients mentioned, the Solar Lux (to me) is the superior product of the three.

The Minwax conditioner was not needed, and most likely stopped the Solar Lux from truly penetrating the pores of the Mahogany, severely lessening the positive attributes of the dye product.

In this case, 'conditioner' is a fancy word for 'sealer coat'.

A sealer coat seals off the pores of the wood from anything you happen put on top of it.

You sealed the wood (by using the Minwax conditioner first) against the very dye you bought to dye it (basically).

I'm sure it colored, but not nearly like it would have if you applied the Solar Lux directly onto the bare wood itself.

it's sort of like hiring a professional runner to run a sprint for you, then nailing his shoes down to the starting line, the two products are working against themselves somewhat.

The Solar Lux (I'm guessing) is coming off because it never got to penetrate the wood in the first place, it's sort of just sitting on top of the Minwax, and the Tru-Oil is picking it up for the ride.