My Guitar Body Fell While Finishing ! :(((

I had a huge shock today.. I was getting along nicely with the finish of my rhoads V the past few days, until it fell of the hook 30 minututes ago.

There are a few places where the finish was dammaged but a few more coats might repair or camouflage it at the least.

ramp.jpg

However, the end of one of the horns got dammaged pretty badly, chipping some of the wood. You cant realy see the chipping in the picture, but it's there. A small comfort is that none of the wood actualy broke of.

This realy sucks, and right now I'm at a loss for the best wat on how to proceed. The crappy part is that I was doing the last coats, planning to do the wetsanding of the coloar coat tommorow.

But I'm thinking.. sand the damaged area, either superglue/titebond the chipping or use the 2 component epoxy based wood repair/filler kit, tape off the surrounding area and use a bit of primer, and redo the colloar coats?

Or is there an easier way to do that?

I've had that happen before. You're right, emotions at that moment block at rational thought. The worst part was that I was right next to it and saw it happen and everything was in slow motion. My hands were there, they were moving towards it, it bounced out of them and then THUNK. I picked it up, saw the damage and my first thought was "I will make you suffer for what you have done" and was ready to let it intimately meet the brick wall. Luckily I set it down, had a few beers and a cigar and came back to it a few days later. The damage was not as bad as I had thought and was pretty easily repaired.

I've had that happen before. You're right, emotions at that moment block at rational thought. The worst part was that I was right next to it and saw it happen and everything was in slow motion. My hands were there, they were moving towards it, it bounced out of them and then THUNK. I picked it up, saw the damage and my first thought was "I will make you suffer for what you have done" and was ready to let it intimately meet the brick wall. Luckily I set it down, had a few beers and a cigar and came back to it a few days later. The damage was not as bad as I had thought and was pretty easily repaired.

Man, cant wait for the future with flying cars and gravity damping fields :D

But one invests so much time, money, effort, emotions.. love into making even a simple guitar.

And love.. well, if something goes amiss, I guess it's just like romantic love where your partner cheats..

Got everything glued and will sand smooth the breaks where the pieces join in a few moments.. actual damage is beyond total repair, but some good spraying will make it at least not so noticable.

I know the feeling shades, back in my taxidermy days I was painting a palomino trout, and this was turning out to be the best mount I had ever done, both from an anatomy standpoint and paint job, while i was doing some final fine detail work getting ready to clearcoat it , I knocked it off the stand I had it on, sending it crashing to my concrete floor, and in the process busting a fin off and leaving one hell of a chip/scratch in its head(worst possible area to make a paint repair) :D . I was ready to kick it to hell and back i was so mad with myself :D I picked it up and left it alone for a couple days, and it turned out just fine

Put another coat over it.. the area where it chipped away will never quite look nice, maybe not so bad but still.

Now I had a bit of a stroke of inspiration.. maybe I could mask the area doing something a bit material finish style? Basicly, the tip of the wing could be covered with some kind of plastic foil. In my mind, that actualy looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure how workable that is..

Using bondo on a guitar is illegal... be careful

wat

I just made a guitar neck that had some chips from routing in the headstock...

My shop teacher told me that regular putty wouldn't work, as it wouldn't adhere right and just fall off eventually. So he brought some Car body filler out...

Am I going to die? Or land in Jail? Face a fine? I don't plan on selling it, and Im painting over it...

Bondo is a brand of autobody putty used for filling dents and leveling areas. But Bondo gets thrown around as a generic name for body puty. The good thing about it is that it doesn't shrink back over time like wood puties do.

You won't go to jail for it or face a fine, but you may spontaneously combust for angering the guitar gods.

Bondo is a brand of autobody putty used for filling dents and leveling areas. But Bondo gets thrown around as a generic name for body puty. The good thing about it is that it doesn't shrink back over time like wood puties do.

ah, I understand now. I dont live in the US or Britain, so when brand names get thrown around it's confusing.

Related to living at my locale & brands, it's pretty frustrating to find certain stuff. Nobody carries tru-oil here, and I was lucky enough to find a place that imports Danish Oil and Titebond.

and no.. there are no comparable brands for stuff like that here.

You won't go to jail for it or face a fine, but you may spontaneously combust for angering the guitar gods.

So how does that insulteth ye holy guitare Gods? Does it screw with the tone or something or destroy the finish over time? :D

Oh No! My worst fear!

So how does that insulteth ye holy guitare Gods? Does it screw with the tone or something or destroy the finish over time?

"THOU SHALT NOT USE CAR PRODUCTS ON THE GREATEST INSTRUMENT OF ALL TIME! YE SHALL BE PUNISHED!"

*Combusts into flames.

But lets be serious now, why is this illegal? Or is merely the sale of guitars with Bondo illegal?

Oh No! My worst fear!

So how does that insulteth ye holy guitare Gods? Does it screw with the tone or something or destroy the finish over time?

"THOU SHALT NOT USE CAR PRODUCTS ON THE GREATEST INSTRUMENT OF ALL TIME! YE SHALL BE PUNISHED!"

*Combusts into flames.

But lets be serious now, why is this illegal? Or is merely the sale of guitars with Bondo illegal?

its not illegal afaik, just a joke :D

early guitars used car paint so its not that bad imo.

*Combusts into flames.

Aww crap! So that is *why* my guitar fell? :D

But between you and me (and everyone else on the interwebs).. I think this 'spraypaint for GUITAR!!!' thing is a ripoff. If the type is suitable, it's suitable. Nitro-Cellulose and acrylic is nitro and acrylic. No sense paying two or three times as much per can just because someone slappen 'guitar laquer' on the bottle. :D

You are correct to an extent. You are paying extra for the Guitar Paint to be slapped on the can. But all nitro's and acrylics are not created equal. Some nitro's yellow a lot, some not so much, some are water white. Some spray better than others and some hold up better over time. I can't comment on acrylics because I never used them.

As an example, Deft is a water white, non-checking nitro lacquer that is not supposed to yellow over time. Sprays nicely, polishes nicely. But the stuff is very brittle. On a bad day it will chip by giving it a dirty look. So there are some that are better than others.

You are correct to an extent. You are paying extra for the Guitar Paint to be slapped on the can. But all nitro's and acrylics are not created equal. Some nitro's yellow a lot, some not so much, some are water white. Some spray better than others and some hold up better over time. I can't comment on acrylics because I never used them.

As an example, Deft is a water white, non-checking nitro lacquer that is not supposed to yellow over time. Sprays nicely, polishes nicely. But the stuff is very brittle. On a bad day it will chip by giving it a dirty look. So there are some that are better than others.

true, but I feel it's mostly playing to the confusion and insecurity that comes with the voodoo that is (re)finishing. So much options and brands and conflicting information, I guess a lot of people just feel a little more reassured buying something that implies it's suitable.

That shouldnt cost an extra 10 bucks a can. Rattlecan finishing is already expensive enough as it is.