Trashy Fender Jazz Bass In Need Of Fixing Up. Warped Neck. Worth Fixin

I just bought a Fender Jazz Bass really cheap. I'm excited to fix it up really nice. The things a piece of **** right now but it's gonna be NICE when its done. First thing that needs work is the neck. Its really bad. I can bend it back a full inch. I tried messing around with the "truss rod" thing but I have no idea what i'm doing. Should I clamp it down with C-clamps overnight? Can I fix it or can i just get a better neck?

Also, I'm planning on customizing every aspect of this guitar. Anyone know where I can get some cool knobs, toggle switch, keys, and pickups? I'm looking for something not too expensive but I don't want just cheap stuff, if you know what I mean...

Also, if i make this nice, and I mean REALLY nice. With totally unrecognizable, custom paint and whatnot... Is it still a Fender? Is there a way I can prove it's a legit Fender?

Edited by Ken Kaniff

Let's hit the brakes and slow down a minute. If you are diving right in and adjusting the "Truss rod Thing", but admit you have no idea what you are doing you are already in over your head. I admire the enthusiasm, but working on guitars takes patience. The parts on a guitar are all a balancing act, if you adjust one thing it affects numerous things, so they have to be done in the correct order.

I suggest spending some time reading a few books on guitar setups and repairs to get a better understanding of how everything relates and what their functions are. The information you gain will be invaluable and will help you define more specific questions that you need help with.

Yes, of course I soon realized that I had no idea what I was doing. So I stopped messing around with potentially fatal components. Ill have pics soon. Electronics were half out and trash so i just ripped em out. What are some good (and cheap) brands I want to look for to replace them. And what kind of paint should I use?

i wouldnt go too far with the pickups unitl you elimate all the other parts pots and switches are much cheaper to replace and alot of time they are the only problem.

you might check out guitarfetish im not sure what they carry for basses but there cheap and not too bad.

Here are some of the pics. Yes, I know its a piece of crap and is missing a string. Can anyone tell me what kind of pickups those are? And im having trouble with the wiring. I cant seem to find a diagram online with my configuration. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mom%20and%20Dad/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/guitar/DSC05262.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mom%20and%20Dad/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/guitar/DSC05263.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mom%20and%20Dad/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/guitar/DSC05261.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mom%20and%20Dad/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/guitar/DSC05264.JPG