UHMW for Nut??

I have some UHMW and access to a lot more and thought about using it for nuts. Has anyone used this for nuts before?

It's relativelt dense and very slick as far as plastics go and I thought if it wasn't too soft it would be great material.

nyjbkim - do you have any input on this? You seem to be a font of technical info on various materials. :D

It definitely is tough stuff. It is easy to work with, but not very hard. It scratches easily, but I don't think that should be a problem. Due to the softness of the UHMW my humble opinion would be that it wouldn't transfer vibrations like a harder more brittle material. Hey, B*** do I know. You could try it, being you have access to it, and let us know. Or, wait for a more knowledgeable answer! :D

nyjbkim - do you have any input on this? You seem to be a font of technical info on various materials. :D

Heh, all I do are google searches. Hmm... UHMW, from my searches is a type of PE (Polyethylene) and it's density is 0.94 g/cm^3. Aren't PE's kind of "soft?" Www seems to have some more insight than me. Hey, if you have good access to it, give it a try! It's not a permanent mod, you can always replace it if it doesn't work out B)