Complete Noobie Build

I use MDF for master templates because it's more predictable and easier to shape (and much, much cheaper over here) than plywood. That becomes a master template, and working templates can be made from thicker MDF (works fine for a while), but my favourite material for actual working (to route with) templates is Phenolic (trespa, 8mm, scrounge from a variety of building sites at new developments and our craigslist-equivalent has plenty of the stuff as well). Plastics are great for layouts, not so great for routing templates per se, IMO.

Edited by Mattia

+1 to all the MDF stuff above

Finish wise- I think that body you posted had a dark grainfiller applied with a trans red shot over it...I might be wrong but it looks like that to me judging from the pores being a bit darker than the rest of the body

ok so where does one find a product like grain filler in canada and it is needed for mohagany correct?

Where do you find fine finishing supplies (such as grain filler) in Canada? Definitely not at the Co-op Home Center. You MIGHT find what you need at Lee Valley, but I'd go here instead for most stuff:

https://www.woodessence.com/

They ship from Saskatoon (and sometimes Ontario I think?) so they can ship you stuff without USA/Canada border restrictions getting in the way. The guy who owns it is really nice and he's helped a lot of guitar guys track down supplies (myself included).

Edited by B. Aaron