Complete Noobie Build

Hi all so here it is... my first post and my first guitar build all in one shot!

So here is the story. I have been playing guitar for many years and have played on hundreds of different guitars.

They all have there pros and cons. In playing many guitars i had never found one that was just perfect. I always love the feel of a stratocaster but have played a few neck thru's that had great sustain. i have also played many a les paul and rather enjoyed the sound mohogany gives.... then an epiphany occured to me i could build a neck thru strat with a mohogany body! THE PERFECT GUITAR...... now that i have gotten your hopes up i should tell you than this is not that build.. instead i will be building a typical clone of a strat (though i am sure this plan will have changes) to familurize my self with the build process and learn through trial and error and hopfully your input.

I will try and post some pictures of the build tomorrow as i picked up some wood this weekend.

Edited by aesache

ok so i managed to get 2 real nice big slabs of mohagany 15inches by 2 feet long and 2 inches thick (they were only 10 BUCKS a piece!)

these first photos are of the hog slabs as they came when i bought them

2.jpg

3.jpg

and this is them after they have been planed down to 1 3/4 inches

8.jpg

4.jpg

if you look close you will see 2 small cracks on the side they are the reason i got these so cheap but they will pose no issue for me as they will be cut away anyway

i was blown away by the grain in these! Anyone know what kind of mohogany these are?

also there has been a design change I have decided to build a strat with a tele body a "Strelecaster" if you will

ok got some hard maple for the neck today all three pieces yep you guessed it 10 bucks!

the one on the far right is quartersawn but the others are flat sawn should i use one over the other?

they are big pieces so the knots will be cut away the are 4.5 feet long and 8 inches wide and 1 3/4 inches thick (after planing)

one still rough cut and 2 fresh off the planer

11.jpg

(the 2 lines down the maple are from my planer hitting a nail during a previouse project)

Edited by aesache

a bunch of people on here will tell you that your first build should be as simple as possible - a strat copy or similar.

I disagree.

I think part of the beauty of the first build is the thinking that has to go into doing something unique - coming up against problems that don't just require you look up the answer and follow instructions, but actually find a unique solution based on what people can tell you about similar problems.

That's how I approach it, anyway. I'm enjoying my first build so much precisely because I've had to take my time and really think things through for myself.

a bunch of people on here will tell you that your first build should be as simple as possible - a strat copy or similar.

I disagree.

I think part of the beauty of the first build is the thinking that has to go into doing something unique - coming up against problems that don't just require you look up the answer and follow instructions, but actually find a unique solution based on what people can tell you about similar problems.

That's how I approach it, anyway. I'm enjoying my first build so much precisely because I've had to take my time and really think things through for myself.

I agree with you. though i must say i am trying to keep it simple and semi unique which can be tough. My fear is that if its too complicated i will get in over my head get sick of the project and not finish it.

This one has one purpose and that is to learn from mistakes i have made. and i am sure there will be a few

Good score on the wood, I'm jealous! :D

the one on the far right is quartersawn but the others are flat sawn should i use one over the other?

Fender necks are flatsawn maple. Quartersawn is more stable with changes in humidity/temperature. It's up to you, but if flatsawn maple works on millions of guitars, you should be fine with that. Regardless, you're set with neck blanks for a few upcoming projects there.

Fender necks are flatsawn maple. Quartersawn is more stable with changes in humidity/temperature. It's up to you, but if flatsawn maple works on millions of guitars, you should be fine with that. Regardless, you're set with neck blanks for a few upcoming projects there.

thats and understatment i ended up buying a whole lot more i now have 6 mohagany body blanks 3 maple body blanks and a bunch of mohagany and maple neck blanks like in the pics easily enough to make a dozen necks

all for just over 150 bucks and i now have enough for a lifetime of guitar building (or a least a while)

anyone interested in buying some it would be nice to make some of my money back then i could call this build the "Freecaster" HAHA

Edited by aesache

all for just over 150 bucks and i now have enough for a lifetime of guitar building (or a least a while)

anyone interested in buying some it would be nice to make some of my money back then i could call this build the "Freecaster" HAHA

email me at john.ruiz1 @ gmail . :D I'd love to discuss buying a body blank or two from ya.

+1 to quartersawn being more stable. Not stronger, mind you: just more stable, less prone to warpage, and generally more problem-free than slabsawn wood. If you do use flatsawn wood for the neck, make sure it's perfectly flatsawn, because (much like quartersawn) it will be less prone to warpage than something with the grain running diagonally and a bunch of runout. It should also feel more consistent to carve than diagonally grained wood, which is useful when you're just learning.

The more research I read about wood, the less conclusive evidence there is that either grain orientation is universally stronger than the other: every study I've read has had far too small a sample size to actually prove anything, and their results are usually inconclusive anyway. Much research I've seen from those in the forestry & lumber industries suggests that there's more of a variation in wood strength between wood from the bottom or top of a tree than there is due to grain orientation (the wood at the bottom is denser/heavier, harder, and stronger than that at the top, by virtue of being more compressed by weight of the tree above it and growing stronger over the years... in theory).

ok so a friend let me trace his tele today now i just have to make a template from it. I will be using 1/2 inch MDF to make the template anything i should know about that?

hope to have the template finished this weekend and the rough cut body out

also i have attached a pic anyone know how to replicate the finish on this guitar?

FenderDeluxeChamberedMahoganyTeleBo.jpg

thats and understatment i ended up buying a whole lot more i now have 6 mohagany body blanks 3 maple body blanks and a bunch of mohagany and maple neck blanks like in the pics easily enough to make a dozen necks

I'd definitely be interested in buying some of those mahogany blanks, they look amazing. I tried messaging you but it said you cant receive the, so e-mail me at solomon684 [at] gmail.com with the price please :D

MDF: this stuff turns into a nasty, yucky powder that will cover every surface in your workshop if you make the mistake of sanding, cutting, or routing it inside. It takes a long time to clean that stuff up. If you can, make your template outside and let the sawdust become one with the dirt rather than become one with your tools and lungs.

Edited by B. Aaron

MDF: this stuff turns into a nasty, yucky powder that will cover every surface in your workshop if you make the mistake of sanding, cutting, or routing it inside. It takes a long time to clean that stuff up. If you can, make your template outside and let the sawdust become one with the dirt rather than become one with your tools and lungs.

+1

I had a cheap MDF guitar and i sanded it and it got over EVERYTHING!! Good luck, BTW, because I'm on the planning stage for my project, and should get it underway pretty soon. Hey, I've been looking for a blank too. My email is trystanrospson@gmail.com. Email me when you can. Good Luck!

Yeah, MDF really sucks. First time i cut it, i did it inside with a circular saw, that crap went everywhere!!! :D

Wear a respirator. MDF dust is bad stuff...

+1 to that .

Gets in your lungs & expands, Absorbs loads of moisture. Will have you coughing up nasty phlegm for a few days. Wear a mask & cut/sand it outside.

Use ply for your templates in future, of clear plastic/pcv sheeting.

Yeah, MDF really sucks. First time i cut it, i did it inside with a circular saw, that crap went everywhere!!! :D

+1 to that .

Gets in your lungs & expands, Absorbs loads of moisture. Will have you coughing up nasty phlegm for a few days. Wear a mask & cut/sand it outside.

plastic sheeting sounds like it would be ideal?? anyone know a cheap source for that in the london ontario region?

+1 to that .

I used the MDF for a tabletop for my workbench(laminated 2 pieces together). Will def be using ply for my templates i think. I would like to use plexiglass but i can't find it at a decent price, but then again i havent checked the net