jerry garcia david grisman

Snork

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wasnt a huge garcia fan earlier besides the blues for allah album. but i rediscovered them with So What recording. my god that is an INCREDIBLE album. total feel playing. i never have heard quite a pallete color of playing. Thats my opinion you are entitled to your own and i respect that (P.C snork talking) but PLEASE check out So What

I've been listening to hard-core 'grass, 'dawg' music, 'spacegrass', and 'jazzgrass' for well over 25 years now and ya know what?

I never liked either one of those guys much at all, and still don't.

I don't own a single Dead record. I used to have one. And I never bought anything specifically because Grisman was on it.

I'm not saying they suck, they're both very talented musicians, but for the style of music they play, there are many other bands/musicians that I'd much rather listen to. Just a personal preference, no diss on either of them.

But I do like Old And In The Way, that's a cool record.

What I would say to you, snork, is that if you like that stuff, there's tons more out there, don't stop with this one.

I will also say that for a 15 year old, your musical tastes are far ahead of most of your peers, and I compliment you on your tastes and open-mindedness so far, you like a lot of pretty musically mature stuff for a 15 year old, you seem to be heading into the fusion/jazz/acoustic idioms -far- in advance of most guys your age.

This is good. I was turned on to Al Dimeola and fusion in general (and Zappa too)when I was 16 I think (in '77), and I loved it, and there was no internet back then! Haha!

If you want to check out a lot more bluegrass, look for WAMU on-line. It's American University, where they used to have 6 hours of bluegrass every day for probably 15 years or better on the FM, but they pulled it off the air a few years ago and stuck it on the net. This is the station that turned me on to all the bluegrass bands when I was your age, but I haven't listened to them since they went 'net radio.

ill definetly check it out. I'm also concidering to learn to play violin! I used to play cello but my evil orchestra teacher turned me off from it. I used to also play piano for 10 years but I didnt feel a connection to it where as i feel i can express myself a lot more with a guitar.I feel that violin is a great bluegrass jazz fusion instrument and i'll definately check it out. Also last week i saw this INCREDIBLE jazz band featuring an electric banjo and a guy with some weird ass instrument that i couldnt put my finger on? They were a trio. Anyone know of them? I really want to buy their CD they were kickin'

ill definetly check it out. I'm also concidering to learn to play violin! I used to play cello but my evil orchestra teacher turned me off from it. I used to also play piano for 10 years but I didnt feel a connection to it where as i feel i can express myself a lot more with a guitar.I feel that violin is a great bluegrass jazz fusion instrument and i'll definately check it out. Also last week i saw this INCREDIBLE jazz band featuring an electric banjo and a guy with some weird ass instrument that i couldnt put my finger on? They were a trio. Anyone know of them? I really want to buy their CD they were kickin'

It sounds like you're talking about Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. They are incredible! I saw them at the Montreal Jazz Fest. Get their DVD. It's really worth it. They've also just released a triple CD called Little Worlds.