Who would be up for this type of project?

Clavin

Another site I frequent has decided to have it's members build a guitar then auction it off to support the site. Each member donated thier time-talents, etc.. in helping with either woods, finishing, or other materials.

I am not involved in that project, however I think a "project Guitar" member built guitar would be really cool!

Of course it would require shipping materials, excellent communications- open and frank, maybe voting for the options, but I believe we are up for it.

The finished guitar could be auctioned off to the members, or others and the proceeds used to run the site.. We could all see a bit of each others work in the process.

Brian what do think??

I'm donating an inlay to start out! We can vote on the image and theme :D

Any takers??

Of course this needs to be discussed- it was just a suggestion!

Craig

So did it ever happen?

Or is it still in the panning stages??

Was it voted down?

I'm looking for a bottom line here.

I may have missed it in all the text.

Thanks.

Craig

There were a lot of unresolved issues, it kind of just rolled off the bottom of the page one day.

Since we're such a widespread group, shipping was a -big- deal. In the end, we wouldn't really make any money off of it by the time shipping charges were accumulated.

Also, since a lot of us aren't pro builders, it would leave a lot of our members out of the loop and (I guess) feeling left out. So maybe by the time all was said and done, it would hurt us as a group more than it would help???

Also, Brian is -so- loaded with fat-sassy cash, he gives the extra away to musically-oriented charities.

(just kiddin'!) B)

Also, the pros were concerned if they did their part right, and it got sent to someone who mucked their part up, then all would be for naught in the end, so there was a risk factor of quality completion there...

Those were some of the basic issues that didn't get answered...I liked the idea myself.

And I was all for not copying someone elses' idea, I wanted it to be some kind of original ProjectGuitar project, something we're 'known for', instead of just flat-out copying the idea others have already done, like your group and the MIMF, but that was just my worthless input.

Also, the market for off-brand guitars on e-Bay is only marginal, someone who researched it found out that basses would get more money.

Are those enough unresolved issues? :D

It was a cool idea, but I think it would be too hard to organize.

Cool idea?? YES hard to orginize?? Not really if well though out!

I have a plan, might not be a good plan but its a plan none the less.

Shipping: shiping guitar peices doesnt cost much, and I myself, even though I would not volunteer for any of the work (not enough skills), I would donate $ for shipping costs.

Quality of work: This is an issue, my suggestion, do it up like the GOTM contests. Every one that is interested in participating, lays claim to what work they want to do. And everyone gets to vote on who does what, based on skills, and pictures of their past and present work.

Materials: Quality materials should be used, but considering the "nature of this beast" instead of a mohagony body, go with alder, as an example.

Type of axe: custom guitars that look like something else doesnt make that much money or get noticed. So something original has to be cooked up. Theres enough originaltiy and dementia in this forum, that this should not be a problem. And here's a spot where everyone, can participate, even the amatures. Draw up a rough desighn, and everyone votes. Or make hybrid suggestions, like a cross between an "S model Ibanez and a Les Paul"

Flow: once its all said and done, everyone knows who's doing what, and where and why. Break it down like this. Dude thats makes body, ships it to dude that finishes body, he then ships it to dude that hooks up the electronic, and then ships it to Brian for assembly. Dude that makes neck, ships it to dude that does inlay and frets, then ships it to Brian for assembly. This way your looking at maybe 60 to 80 in shipping.

Participation: Obviosly not eveyone can participate in the actuall crafting, and hopefully everyone would want the best people for the job. But by voting for everything involved, everyone does get to participate. And I mean voting right down to every little detail.

$$$$: the largest of problems, maybe it would be possible to (using as a referance) contact someone that supplies inlay, tell them whats going on, and tell them we'll put their name in big bold letters on the ebay listing, that would be free advertising to millions of people! Plus if the proceedes are going to one of Brians charities, that might snag a discount as well!

Alternate materials: As a suggestion, I plan on doing a "tribal" inlay on a guitar body someday. Instead of using shell (very expensive), I'm going to use Duracover (very cheap), the stuff used to cover drum shells which is very pleasing to the eye!

I think this would be a killer thing to do!! it would put some light on this webite, and on this forum. Which in the end, is the main purpose for doing this in the first palce. I might have left a couple details out, but these ideas could create more ideas, and maybee get this madness off the ground!

Sorry for the long post :D

Shipping: shiping guitar peices doesnt cost much, and I myself, even though I would not volunteer for any of the work (not enough skills), I would donate $ for shipping costs.

Quality of work: This is an issue, my suggestion, do it up like the GOTM contests. Every one that is interested in participating, lays claim to what work they want to do. And everyone gets to vote on who does what, based on skills, and pictures of their past and present work.

Those are both very good ideas. Have people donate a few bucks each for shipping.

I ESPECIALLY like your Quality of Work idea.

I was going to donate time, materials, everything. A full inlay, should I be called upon to do the work. Thats what donating is to me. I am not doing it for the "exposure". I'm not sure how much it would actually get, even on ebay. I just thought it wold be fun, and a cool way for the site to demostrate it's prowess.

I am still up for it. the voting may get bogged down, but remember there is no time limit on this (yet). Of course not getting it done is embarrassing, so we'll have to organise those details as well.

Craig.

Well, I guess we know it's going to be an electric, solid body at least.

Other options would be whatever options are available on an electric.

Personally I think it should demonstrate more than anything else that we can all work together as a group, regardless of details involved. You need to be able to roll with what shows up at your door.

Thankfully we have a forum to discuss things in!

I think lex's idea of a voting page, etc.. would keep things running smoothly at least during the design process..

Craig

what if somone breaks something. then we would be screwed. like breaking in shipping would be such a biatch!

Pack it properly, and of course insure it. From doing Shipping and Reciving in a warehouse for several years, FedEX does the least damage out of anyone, UPS comes in second, USPS comes in dead last!

1) I would love to do an archtop.

In fact my next inlay is going on a $5,000 Buscarino. I may use that as a tutorial for a normal radiused fretboad. I'm pretty excited about the artwork so far. Orchids and humingbird.

I know it's been done before, but not in the realistic sense. Mostly as vines, etc..

2) As far as stuff breaking and repairs, screw ups, that's part of luthiery everyday.

It happenes. A begginner may screw something up pretty badly, an expert knows how to make the screw up go away!

Craig.

very true clavin! i was once told the same thing, anyone can do woodworking but the true woodworker is tha one who hides the mistakes the best! were only human,

anyway i would still love to help out with this, is some kinda way, i like the voting idea! we could have a vote for best finisher, best inlayist(we know who that will be), best carve top guy and so on........

and it must be a clear finish no solids or paints! in my opinion anyway

Sorry to see that happen Lex.

So how did the repair come out?

Voting on the "best" to to do the work may not be needed in a lot of cases.

Lets take the inlay example. I have seen a lot of work on these pages all equal at least in quality, cut, etc..

Now if the image is what you prefer over someone elses art that is a personal opinion.

No reason one inlayer can't do the fretboard, and another the headstock, etc..

The more get involved the better!

Craig.

Lets try to break this all down, If I miss anything, please add what I missed!

BODY

1. Body route

2. Body top

3. Body stain / Paint / whatever

4. Binding for body??

5. Inlay for Body??

6. Body finish, poly, nitro, whatever

7. Electronics

8. Assembly, knobs, bridge, etc

NECK

1. Neck roughing, rasps, spokeshaves, etc

2. Neck smoothing, sandpaper

3. Truss rod install

4. Fret board install

5. Inlays

6. Frets

7. Binding for neck ???

8. Headstock logo "PG.com" or somthin

9. Neck / Headstock, oil, dye, finish, whatever

10. Assembly, tuning keys, string retainers, nut, etc.

11. Put the neck on the body, string it up, set action, etc, etc

by my count thats 19 jobs that can be divied up. We could probobly break it down even further, but that will cause the shipping price to go up. But if everyone chips in, that shouldnt be much of a problem.

Then we got to consider all the options: Once again add to, if I miss something

1. body shape

2. P-U configuration

3. bridge, TOM or Trem (any machinists in the house, that could be job #20)

4. Switches, knobs, accesories (afterburner, PA2, EKG)

5. P-U brand, generic or some name brand, maybee someone in the forum can wind some up (make that 21 jobs to divy up)

6. To pick guard or not to pick guard (someone could make a pick guard, #22?)

7. Type of top if any

8. Color or colors

9. Finish - stain, solid, material, etc

10. Scale length

11. # of frets

12. Type of frets and size; plain, ss- jumbo, medium

13. headstock shape / angle

14. # of strings

15. Type of tuners

16. Type of string reatiner

17. Wood options for body, neck, fingerboard.

18. Inlay desighn.

19. God knows what else, but this is all can think of for right now.

I guess the best thing to do would be to start a thread in the Poll section, just to find out, who's interested in the first palce. This is the second time a thread like this was started concerning a group project, it would be cool to do one, but if only 10 out of the 1000+ people that hang out here are interested, well there wouldnt be much point!

Lets try to break this all down, If I miss anything, please add what I missed!

BODY

1. Body route

2. Body top

3. Body stain / Paint / whatever

4. Binding for body??

5. Inlay for Body??

6. Body finish, poly, nitro, whatever

7. Electronics

8. Assembly, knobs, bridge, etc

NECK

1. Neck roughing, rasps, spokeshaves, etc

2. Neck smoothing, sandpaper

3. Truss rod install

4. Fret board install

5. Inlays

6. Frets

7. Binding for neck ???

8. Headstock logo "PG.com" or somthin

9. Neck / Headstock, oil, dye, finish, whatever

10. Assembly, tuning keys, string retainers, nut, etc.

11. Put the neck on the body, string it up, set action, etc, etc

by my count thats 19 jobs that can be divied up. We could probobly break it down even further, but that will cause the shipping price to go up. But if everyone chips in, that shouldnt be much of a problem.

Then we got to consider all the options: Once again add to, if I miss something

1. body shape

2. P-U configuration

3. bridge, TOM or Trem (any machinists in the house, that could be job #20)

4. Switches, knobs, accesories (afterburner, PA2, EKG)

5. P-U brand, generic or some name brand, maybee someone in the forum can wind some up (make that 21 jobs to divy up)

6. To pick guard or not to pick guard (someone could make a pick guard, #22?)

7. Type of top if any

8. Color or colors

9. Finish - stain, solid, material, etc

10. Scale length

11. # of frets

12. Type of frets and size; plain, ss- jumbo, medium

13. headstock shape / angle

14. # of strings

15. Type of tuners

16. Type of string reatiner

17. Wood options for body, neck, fingerboard.

18. Inlay desighn.

19. God knows what else, but this is all can think of for right now.

I guess the best thing to do would be to start a thread in the Poll section, just to find out, who's interested in the first palce. This is the second time a thread like this was started concerning a group project, it would be cool to do one, but if only 10 out of the 1000+ people that hang out here are interested, well there wouldnt be much point!

Thicknessing of materials.

Cutting out the body shape.

Contouring the body.