White Ash And Red Pine Om Acoustic

A while back my little sister asked me if I would show her how to build a guitar. After figuring out prices we decided it would be easier to go with an acoustic because of price. I have never finished an acoustic yet and she has never built a guitar or had much woodworking experience so this will be a learning process for both of us.

Specs:

-Wood: White ash back and sides and Red Pine (Norway Pine) top, Black Walnut Fretboard, Binding, Bridge, maybe the braces to but not sure yet.

-Tuners: Chrome Gotoh Schaller style

-White bridge pins

Here are some pictures of todays work.

Measuring the wood.

IMG_0495.jpg

Tracing the shape out. I'm glad I finally found a use for this board.

IMG_0496.jpg

We have the wood planed but I forgot to take pictures of that and later today we will be bookmatching the board and getting it ready to glue.

+1 for the acoustic shreading... that shyt's da bomb.... this acoustic may need a whammy bar.... functionality of said whammy bar is totally optional.... shreding simply is not...

HAHA I used to wonder if it would be possible to put a tremolo on an acoustic but I hate the bigsby things that they put on some les pauls and the older semi-hollow bodies so I tried thinking of a way to put a floyd or strat tremolo but decided that there would be to much tension and it was impossible. Nothing like a guitar shattering dive bomb on an acoustic.

So I built the work board today. My sister said she didn't want to mess anything up (she hassen't realized there will be plenty of mistakes anyway like there is with everyone) so that is done I will put up new pictures tomorow.

Yeah, it would be sweet if you could leave the wood thicker in that area and put a kahler in there, but I doubt it would work right.

Yeah you would need to find a spot for the springs to be but if it was to thick it wouldn't resonate so no acoustic anymore. I don't thnk it's possible. Pity though that could be fun.

Cant wait to see the finished product! Wish I has a big bro showing me the ropes. Im left to figure it out from the big brothers on this board who have proved to be the supreme masters of building!

Keep up the great work

Thanks and yeah I wish I had someone to teach me as well I am still learning from everything on this site.

I will be posting new pics sometime today. I had a mishap with the camera so I need to fix it first ...

Finally got the camera fixed but don't have many pictures of what has been done recently. We had to bookmatch the back with a hand saw because the band saw was not tall enough :D

here is the back glued up

IMG_0502.jpg

The sides. We still need to plane these

IMG_0501.jpg

The workboard. I still need to cut a hole in the center before I start bending sides.

IMG_0503.jpg

cool grain on that. What kind of finish are you thinkin of ?

it would be realy cool if you could teach her to do a burst or some other groovey finish. Then let her do it on the guitar herself :D

That would cool yeah but I am not good at bursts unless I do them with a blow torch but I don't think that glue would hold up to that :D

We were thinking of staining it black with some ebony stain then sanding it back so it works as a grain filler then putting Danish oil on the entire guitar since we like the way it looks and feels.

+1 for the acoustic shreading... that shyt's da bomb.... this acoustic may need a whammy bar.... functionality of said whammy bar is totally optional.... shreding simply is not...

HAHA I used to wonder if it would be possible to put a tremolo on an acoustic but I hate the bigsby things that they put on some les pauls and the older semi-hollow bodies so I tried thinking of a way to put a floyd or strat tremolo but decided that there would be to much tension and it was impossible. Nothing like a guitar shattering dive bomb on an acoustic.

So I built the work board today. My sister said she didn't want to mess anything up (she hassen't realized there will be plenty of mistakes anyway like there is with everyone) so that is done I will put up new pictures tomorow.

You make the whole bridge move.

you put a smaller block under the bridge. you cut a hole for said small block, but not as big as the whole bridge obviously.

you hinge the bridge to the body top.

you run the springs to the neck pocket (where there is a lot of solid wood) and the block under the bridge.

Been there done that.

acoustic whammy sucks.

Have fun.

cool grain on that. What kind of finish are you thinkin of ?

it would be realy cool if you could teach her to do a burst or some other groovey finish. Then let her do it on the guitar herself :D

That would cool yeah but I am not good at bursts unless I do them with a blow torch but I don't think that glue would hold up to that :D

We were thinking of staining it black with some ebony stain then sanding it back so it works as a grain filler then putting Danish oil on the entire guitar since we like the way it looks and feels.

Works for me. Id put an amber aniline on after you cut the black. Then oil it. will look excellent B)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I happened across this acoustic a couple days ago. I set it in the shop back in september for a few weeks and forgot about it. We will be getting back to it soon.

Recently my sister and I have been testing a new way to bend sides. I am used to bending with a pipe but was given a bunch of sets for steaming or boiling the wood and bending it on a jig. Here are some pictures of some walnut sides we bent today.

The side wrapped in tin foil to hold in the steam.

Acousticsides001.jpg

Acousticsides005.jpg