squires

MikeB

how cool could a squire strat be made?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i can hear the star destoryer music! B)

seriously i have an even worse ripoff than a strat, some group called kaman music made a guitar called it slammer and slapped a hamer logo on it. the neck is fine and the body is most likely mdf (it is not wood) some day im gonna stripp that biotch and refinish it or make a new body.

THe scary part is that i bought some cheap tuners to finish my proj and they where made by kaman music! i seem to be cursed. its worse then when the 250 binder hole reinforcment stickers got let loose on my house and they're still here even after we moved :D

• 3 weeks later...

All depends what you want to do, I suppose.

I bought a Squire strat in an emergency. My USA Tele decided to fold in half in the case between gigs, and I ordered a replacement neck. In the meantime, I had to gig, so I went to an Argos chainstore here in the UK and bought one.

I still play it - well, the neck anyway! Everything has changed - I think I caught a good neck by some of what I've read about them.

Graphtech bridge piezo system, various simple electronic mods, new machines, new logo, and some texas pickups. It's quite nice, even if I say so myself!

newgoldie.jpg

• 2 years later...

I had one, it was pretty cool! I put schaller locking tuners on it and then a set of vintage noisless pickups on it. I loved it. The guys at the guitar store laughed at me because the parts were worth more than the guitar, but I loved it anyway. Sometimes a stray dog can be a better friend than a purebreed.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW camera makes it look pink-red, it isnt. It's orange on the front and red on the back. Pretty sweet 2 tone in person.

guitar1ex5.jpg

guitar2do0.th.jpg

guitar3it5.th.jpg

For a 1 off custom, 250 bux USD isn't too bad. hopefully it's worth some money in a few decades.

INFO- my cousen won it off of a molson beer expo, one off squire. Pick guard removed, custom paint,and the molson rocks thing is oainted off, not a sticker. And John Molson himself signed it, and was clearcoated overtop of it. WOOT! But ya, it has that signature fender sound. Hard to explain but when you hear a nice fender you know what it is immidiatly. The only thing I plan on doing to this is getting a set to replace the white with black. black pickup covers, knobs, and switch ends. I think that will match the "look" the guitar has going for it. Mabie some real fender pickups in the future, who knows.

:D

Since this thread has come back, I just bought a Squier (it's not a squire over there is it?)...here's some reviews....Deluxe Series Satin Trans Fat Strat Electric Guitar...I got it half price (A$337)

229444.jpg

This is a mahogony bodied strat with top loaded pickups, no pickguard and a Duncan Designed JB pickup in the bridge and two alnico single coils. Two point trem with satin solid saddles. It has a Honey stain to it and that is matched on the headstock. The neck is like a fender, wider than a lot of copies and really comfortable up to 22 frets. The frets are medium jumbo and really well done and there is a skunk stripe down the back of the neck.

So...This will be a test bed for some ideas in the sustainer project and pickup things too. The top loaded pickups and recessed back cavities will allow for such work to take place without having to remove or have wires sticking out of the strats usual giant pickguard.

So...what do I find when I open the back cavity...painted shielding and foil backed cover...

squiertop2.jpgsquiercontrolcavity2.jpg

Squier's reputation is based largely on the experiences people have had with those plywood bodied jobs you get with an amp pack. The fact is, for a while back when, the squier or Jap Strat's were better than the USA's at the time.

This one is made in Indonesia with very accurate CNC machining and plays really well. It doesn't sound like a strat but it feels and plays much like the real thing, a lot to do with the scale length I suspect. The Duncan sounds really good but overpowers the single coils and they can be a bit noisy (just like a real strat). All in all it is a fine guitar and does have it's own sound...which is what I was looking for anyway (also comes in a S/S/S with tortiose pickguard)

So, quality squiers are made and even if it doesn't say fender, it does have stratocaster written on it :D ... pete

• 2 weeks later...

one word: (that is actually three) LEDs. anything's coolness is directly related to the number of LEDs in/on it. just stick them all over and your squire strat shakes off it's lamesauce and turns into god. when i'm in charge, my first decree is that everything needs to have 1000% more LEDs in it.