Quick Question About Fret Dressing And Levelling

1). Is it vital to ensure the fret ends are flush with the fretboard by filing them as close as possible to smoothness, before starting the dressing process (filing in the curves)?

2). On a combo radius neck, while using a 16" long flat metal levelling block and approximately 400 grit sandpaper, what is the best movement for levelling the frets? I'm thinking doing half from the nut side, then half from the neck joint side and blending in the middle. Of course I'll be using a marker pen as well.

Thanks.

1). Is it vital to ensure the fret ends are flush with the fretboard by filing them as close as possible to smoothness, before starting the dressing process (filing in the curves)?

2). On a combo radius neck, while using a 16" long flat metal levelling block and approximately 400 grit sandpaper, what is the best movement for levelling the frets? I'm thinking doing half from the nut side, then half from the neck joint side and blending in the middle. Of course I'll be using a marker pen as well.

Thanks.

1) Yes.

2) I would not do it like that. I start at the nut end, and work my way down, milling fall away into the frets.

If it's a compound radius, ideally, your fret-leveling movements will follow the string paths. So on the outside of the board, you will run parallel to the side of the neck; in the middle of the board, you will run with the centerline; and in between will be a mixture depending on how far out from the center you are. Don't know how easy that is to do in real life though.