2x12 Cab Into 2 1x12

Thoughtless 7

I'm just pondering this idea at the moment for a 2x12 cab with a switch to turn it into 2 1x12 speakers. But i'm struggling on how to wire that upto a switch or if its even possible?

Yes, it´s possible. You can convert a mono 2x12 cab into a stereo 12" cab (2 1x12). But remember that the impedance of the mono cab will be different than the stereo one ! For example : if you have two 16 ohms speakers connected in parallel in the 2x12 mono cab you have an impedance of 8 ohms, if you convert this cab into a stereo one you will have an impedance of 16 ohms in each channel of this cab. You have to check this in order to avoid problems with the amp or amps that you will use with this new configuration.

Having two jacks, one being the "main" input and just being a normal jack and the other being a switched jack and only used in stereo operation, would make it dead easy to do. However, you could put a manual switch in there and have a single stereo jack as well. What you could do (and I am not necessarily recommending this) is make it so that when switched to 2 1x12's, you have some high wattage resistors (same wattage as your speakers) in parallel with each speaker to roughly maintain correct impedance. Just a couple ideas.