5-string Bridge Help?

Hey guys,

So I'm getting ready to build a solid body electric mandolin that essentially amounts to a scaled down (36 cm/~14 in scale), 5 string electric guitar. As it's not a very common instrument, neither are the parts. However, I have found a couple of pictures that would aid me in my quest as it were. Which brings me to my point:

How can I find (or even make?) a bridge like the one on this electric mandolin?

http://www.mike-sabre.com/Instrumentspast/...-1012-full.html

I get the feeling that it's a 5 string electric bass bridge, but I'm not 100% convinced, especially because the string gauges of the two instruments are so vastly different. Any ideas?

Thanks!

P.S. I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question; I'm new to both the guitar building scene and the guitar building forum scene!

I get the feeling that it's a 5 string electric bass bridge, but I'm not 100% convinced, especially because the string gauges of the two instruments are so vastly different. Any ideas?

the spacing between strings is also quite different... a bass bridge would be far too wide for this application.

looks like standard sized saddles on a custom baseplate... so either make a baseplate for standard saddles or use individual bridges or wilkinson saddles on an ebony plate they way a lot of people (me included) do for fanned fret instruments.

looks like standard sized saddles on a custom baseplate... so either make a baseplate for standard saddles or use individual bridges or wilkinson saddles on an ebony plate they way a lot of people (me included) do for fanned fret instruments.

So if I were to make a baseplate for standard saddles, could I make that out of wood, or should I make it out of stainless steel?

Sorry, I've only played Gibsons and Ibanez; my experience with Strat bridges is next to nil. Is it pretty easy to remove the extra saddles?

http://www.gpdusa.com/Fixed_Bridges-Fixed_...e_7_String.html

I was thinking about getting something like this and taking one off from each side so that i can keep the placement symmetric as well. Would that work?

Also, does anyone have experience with Guitar Parts Depot? Are they good quality, or am I just getting what I pay for?

Thanks!