The Scattervarius Ii

my point is that a lot of what you do can be applied to les paul style builds for something original and still very fun and worthwhile. we know the 52 was a flawed animal, to me that makes it worthy of messing with... imagine if gibson had decided to do it the way you do it with your through body stringing instead of the development of the tom and tailpiece

but yes - i do like a early gibson copy. here is my 55 junior... not exact in any way but incorporates the way i build guitars into a 'replica' i am happy to put my name on

LPJfin.jpg

nice! gotta love them Jr's

DSC06741.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a recent project of mine was this abused 60' LPJ - take it from much abused to back to nearly new

1.jpg

ajnr2.jpg

we did discuss making it look like it had not been refinished (twice, since it was originally cherry red and covered in custard yellow at some point) but decided to give it an honest refin and refret back to an as new cherry red junior

one of my favorite projects ever - just because the guitar sounded awesome at the start (played like crap, looked abused) and still sounded awesome at the end ( played great, if anything looked too new)

the owner of this also owns a 53 LP thats been converted to 58 specs - not by me.

anyway... off topic. I can tell from your posts you are a stickler for some of these Lp construction details - but your approach to the violin guitars is also very nice. I suspect you would find it hard to bring yourself to build a LP without 'accurate' specs... but i think some of the features you are including in this would really work well on a more traditional (for guitar) shape

I just have to ask. Is your shop built over a filled in pool? It sure appears so.

yeah I'm in a poolhouse and it's filled in

It is so funny I am building a lap steel and was trying to avoid the violin shape but I just couldn't even though mine really is not true to a real violin. I love that you just went for it. Kudos!

This is one of the coolest builds I've seen in some time. I like the Scattervarius II more than the first one...the maple top looks much better. The "Prophet" model I offer is a kind of "Super strat meets violin" ...(more on the strat side). Your design is the perfect mix of a LP & a violin. And,the tailpiece is the icing on the cake! :D I may try to do the edge bead on an upcoming Prophet build. :D

Here is a Prophet I did in 2008:

pt.jpg

Edited by HuntinDoug

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the coolest builds I've seen in some time. I like the Scattervarius II more than the first one...the maple top looks much better. The "Prophet" model I offer is a kind of "Super strat meets violin" ...(more on the strat side). Your design is the perfect mix of a LP & a violin. And,the tailpiece is the icing on the cake! :D I may try to do the edge bead on an upcoming Prophet build. :D

Here is a Prophet I did in 2008:

pt.jpg

real nice carves on that

I just have to ask. Is your shop built over a filled in pool? It sure appears so.

yeah I'm in a poolhouse and it's filled in

It is so funny I am building a lap steel and was trying to avoid the violin shape but I just couldn't even though mine really is not true to a real violin. I love that you just went for it. Kudos!

one day i was looking at pics of strativarius violins and pulled up a les paul blueprint in photoshop and stuck the violin into the les paul outline and printed it out, just something that got into my head, there is a build thread for the first one over at MLP http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/100136-scattervarius.html