I Finally (had Someone) Build My Dream Axe.

The perfect guitar (for me)

I've spent twenty years of my life wanting to learn the guitar and play (classic/ hard rock) impressively in front of others. I learned the hard way that cheap guitars aren't good and good guitars aren't cheap. The most high-end guitars I've owned have been Peaveys and Epiphones and although the quality of these guitars was decent, I was dissatisfied with how they felt. My dilemma was that a Fender felt comfortable but the sound (and looks) of Gibson suited my taste better.

For years I sat with a sketch pad and tried to join the looks of a Les Paul with the playability of a Fender. I contemplated building this combo guitar myself but opted to search for a builder that would be willing to build what I was after. I found out quickly that most (supposed custom) Luthiers didn't want to stray far from standard shapes or attempt to join a fender neck to a LP body. Finally I contacted Jim Riggs who was willing to build a body how I specified (very affordably). Jim already had a similar LP body called the Calisto that he offered and we started with this outline. The body would be attached to a fender scale neck, 2 HB pickups and a Tele control plate (1V, 1T and a 3-way switch). The lower bout would be a wider cut (like the old Guild Bluesbird) and the back/ forearm was cut with a relief contour. The edge was rounded Strat style and a Strat bridge was to be used.

Jim suggested alder as a material since mahogany would have raised the cost. I preferred mahogany but hoped the HB pickups (Ebay maple tops) would still retain that Gibson” sound and not be effected by the alder (some Fenders have used alder and the wood suited single coil sound better). The neck was to be all maple and being low on $$$, I bought a Chinese made neck from Ebay (poor quality that tested the assembly techs skill later). The neck and body was then sent to GUITARPAINTGUYS and Gibson wintergreen was requested as body paint. The GPG shop was unique in that they offered both paint and assembly work at an affordable price. The project has been a year in the making but I'm waiting for the delivery of my new guitar. The color is not exactly as requested but for the cost I'm satisfied. Because Jim did such excellent work I insisted that his company decals badge the headstock. I've seen homemade guitars and DIY kits that have turned out better than most manufactured instruments but when you have no tools, supplies and skills, it's safer to let a pro handle it.

This project came about because no company made what I wanted and I insisted on a guitar that brought together qualities of both Fender and Gibson. Jim Riggs has now sold several bodies shaped as I requested and I hope more will find the guitar unique and interesting. After all was done I have a tele with HB pickups and a LP like”body. When you're not satisfied with what out there then you have no choice but to create what you want. This project was completed somewhere around $700 and I plan to play the paint off it! Pics of the project can be found here:

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g395/2005palehorse

Tom

Maysville KY

Edited by 2005palehorse

Thanks. I appreciate that.

It's a weird approach I know but I've always wanted a LP "like" guitar that had the comfort of a Strat. There's been some problems with the bridge width not matching the Fender scale neck but I'm replacing that hardware now. I bought Strat style bridge specific for humbuckers but it's a little wider in string spacing and the small E string is off the fretboard. There will always be some bugs to work out but as long as the BIG issues are thought about in the beginning (neck angle, scale etc) then the other stuff can be adjusted.

What kind of a guitar project did you have in mind?

Tom