Red Stain Matching White Limba And Mahogany

My next project is a PRS Mira inspired guitar using a Carvin mahogany neck through with white limba wings. I'd like to do a red stain, but really want to get the color to match as much as possible. Anyone had success with this? I know it'll take a darker red stain for the limba wings with a lighter stain for the mahogany center. Maybe just some trial and error on my part.

don't laugh, but try red kool-aid. ( wear gloves.... for cripes sake wear gloves... )

I built a red ML out of birds eye maple ( very blonde ) and Teak ( very brown ) and the red kool-aid blended them together great. Not identicle, but certainly a lot closer than what it was.

Try it out on your scraps. you never know...

don't laugh, but try red kool-aid. ( wear gloves.... for cripes sake wear gloves... )

I built a red ML out of birds eye maple ( very blonde ) and Teak ( very brown ) and the red kool-aid blended them together great. Not identicle, but certainly a lot closer than what it was.

...or, y'know, don't. Use a wood dye designed for the purpose that at least has some history of remaining colour fast over the years. Your kool-aid guitar may look good in 10 years time, but it may look really, really bad. A bottle or two of trans tint aren't that expensive.

...or, y'know, don't. Use a wood dye designed for the purpose that at least has some history of remaining colour fast over the years. Your kool-aid guitar may look good in 10 years time, but it may look really, really bad. A bottle or two of trans tint aren't that expensive.

You must not have kids.......... but you have a good point. Even though red 'professional' dyes fade out , the kool aid might fade too. It hasn't yet ( 1 year ) , but we'll see in a decade more. :D