Bass Neck Build- 12 Frets Or 22?

I'm presently building a 6 string bass , tuned 1 octave lower than a guitar with octave strings on the high B and E , so its an 8 string/6 string.

My ponderance right now is : do I fret the neck past the 12th fret?

I don't plan on adventuring up too high on the FB and if I do, I can play fretless, so - besides looking odd - can anyone think of why it would be a bad idea?

I might throw in a cool inlay in the space ala Scott Ian.....

Thoughts?

i did once play a bass fretted like this. fretted 1-12 and fretlines for the rest. the top end action was higher than a liked which meant having to listen and adjust fretting position a bit. I am still not sure if it was a pile of pants (english pants) or just loads of fun. my problem is that as soon as i have something like that i realise i wat to play something that uses the 13th fret and it isnt there

i also played another than was fretted on EA and fretless on DG. that was a odd one

http://www.ricktoone.com/2010/04/partial-fret-bass.html

tick toone did a partial fret. he had a 'taller' fretboard past where he stopped the frets.

Thats awesome ! thanks for the link. I'm well aware of Ricks work, but I didn't know about his thoughts on the fret board. I was already on that mind-set, but as opposed to a 5th or 7th fret transition, I'm going all the way to 12. The band I'm playing bass for has no songs with upper-register bass lines, so I think it'll be o.k. I figure why install level and crown /polish 10 frets I'll likely never use? :D

so... the board is all radiused... it was much easier to do the 'step up' than I thought. I put a stainless steel shim in the 13th fret slot to stop the block from going too far up the neck , hogged out the initial 'step' with a rasp and then started sanding the radius. Got the nut to the 13th nice and rounded, I check with the fret press insert to verify radius, as well as a long straight edge for flatness. after I got that finished. I started on the upraised part, which was surprisingly easy. 13th- 22nd frets are just a tad lower than the fret crown will be. I'll be using white plastic strips to mark the fret locations on the upper frets.

I'm also going to see how well my 'guide fret' setup works on a bass. So far its worked on every guitar I've attempted it on, straight string pull or not. :D

so... the board is all radiused... it was much easier to do the 'step up' than I thought. I put a stainless steel shim in the 13th fret slot to stop the block from going too far up the neck , hogged out the initial 'step' with a rasp and then started sanding the radius. Got the nut to the 13th nice and rounded, I check with the fret press insert to verify radius, as well as a long straight edge for flatness. after I got that finished. I started on the upraised part, which was surprisingly easy. 13th- 22nd frets are just a tad lower than the fret crown will be. I'll be using white plastic strips to mark the fret locations on the upper frets.

I'm also going to see how well my 'guide fret' setup works on a bass. So far its worked on every guitar I've attempted it on, straight string pull or not. :D

Go on show us a picture!