Gathering Info For First Build

Hey everybody,

I've been reading up on a bunch of the builds going on here, and I have to say this is a pretty impressive and talented group.

I'm creating some plans to do a semi-hollowbody using single coils from a donor strat. What type of shielding do you have to do for the single coils? It was simple with a solidbody because all you had to mess with was the cavity. So I'm wondering if you have to shield all of the inside or just areas around the p/ups?

Thanks for any thoughts,

JonnyPM

You know how you have to pay extra for air conditioning on a car? an 'option' ?... well, shielding is exactly like that. Sure, you don't need it , but isn't your ride worth having a bit of luxury in? 2 rolls of tape - 3/4" and 2" will shield the back of your PG and the entire cavity . 12 bucks for an extremely quiet guitar? well worth it in my stingy opinion...

and I think you'll need to ground that shielding to make it effective. I do, but I'm just crazy like that...

I've got the tape from doing it to the original strat donor, but these pick-ups are not going to be mounted to the pickguard, they're going to be mounted from the bottom through the top so there really isn't a real cavity besides the "hollow" part of the semi hollowbody. Good point about the grounding, I replaced the originals with EMGs so I forgot about the grounding issue with the regular strat p/ups. Lots to learn yet.

JonnyPM