Working With Spalted Maple

There are folks here that are far more experienced than I. I've only done one spalted guitar, and it was solid, one piece.

I used minwax wood hardener, which is formulated to do exactly what spalted maple needs , solidify the punky stuff and seal it all up real good.

As far as a top, you may want to lam it onto something else for strength, depending on your piece / desired thickness.

I'm sure you folks can answer a lot of my questions regarding this, but can anyone direct me where I can read up on it? Curious about stabilizing, gluing, finishing, etc. Things like putting the top over a semi hollow? Thanks.

It really depends of how much spalt the maple has...

If its becomming brittle, then my advice would be like Our Souls inc. pointed out, that would be to laminate it on something else to stabilise it and make it stiffer.

If the spalt is not trully exagerated and as long as the fungus is dead then the top is just as tough as a regular maple board and you can use it as a top itself without any problem...

One of the ways to kill the fungus is to steam the board but you must then leave it clamped flat for several days and make sure that its perfectly dry (8%) in order to use it...

Because I use oil finishes, I've already steamed a board, here is an exemple of a spalt maple top guitar I have built last year. The guitar is not hallow but I could have used it as a top on a hallow body without any problem, it was very tough:

30267355.jpg