Mahogany Old School Hot Rod Strat Style With Hex Pickup

Here's my latest build for myself. I posted it in GOTM for April.

I'm an avid guitar synth user with my cover band. I just upgraded to the new Roland GR-55 synth, and it came with another GK-3 Pickup. I needed another guitar to mount it on. I'm keeping several of my guitars without a hex pickup, so a new build was in order, I actually built and finished this body a while back but never decided what to do with the neck pickup. So I ended up whipping out a BE Maple neck for it and by the time I was finished with the neck I decided to go with a P-90 in the neck. I've always loved P-90 tone but currently had no guitars equipped with a P-90. I'm an old school hot-rodded Strat player at heart so I wanted to keep this as more of a Old School Charvel style hard tail, with a good bit of tonal character. I may still add a series/parallel pull pot for the humbucker to add another tonal option, as I have this on all my other guitars.

Here are the specs.

Neck:

Bird's Eye Maple

Honduras Rosewood Skunk stripe

Ebony Fingerboard

12" radius

Stainless steel fret wire

22 frets

Bone Nut

Grover Mini Rotomatic machines

Body:

Honduras Mahogany (2pc)

Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish

Hand wound P-90(A5, 42awg, 9.5k)

Hand wound Humbucker (A5, 43awg, 13.5k)

250k Volume Pot

3 way pickup selector

Roland GK-3 Hex Pickup

Gotoh hard tail bridge

Schaller strap locks

P1010398.jpg

P1010394.jpg

P1010392.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010389.jpg

P1010388.jpg

Looks nice. Any way to get a closeup of the birdseye on the back of the neck? Again, good job, love seeing a nice, simple, but very well executed build.

Looks nice. Any way to get a closeup of the birdseye on the back of the neck? Again, good job, love seeing a nice, simple, but very well executed build.

Thanks... Yep here are a couple of close ups of the neck, and a couple of more of the body. The neck finish BTW is French Polish...

P1010393.jpg

P1010401.jpg

P1010391.jpg

P1010399.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

Very nice! Can I ask what you used to finish the birdseye maple? That's exactly the finish I want on my current build.

French Polished Shellac, It's actually quite glossy. But not draggy on the hand. I couldn't get a good shot of the bird's Eye and the gloss at the same time. It's an easy finish that looks and feels great for necks.

Edited by 3DogNate

i love the guitar - not sure the synth pickup is doing it any favours though. looks like the borg got hold of it, i would have been tempted to ghostify it

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

either that or build a borg themed guitar :D

I built a Ghost equipped guitar for myself last year... And honestly I think I like the GK better for Both Synth and V-Guitar modeling. I'm so completely over the looks part of the GK... It doesn't bug me in the least, but I agree that it's un-pretty. But this is to be a functional workhorse.

P1010205.jpg

as long as you know which you prefer to work with, that is all that counts!

although i predict the black plastic box will cost you votes in GOTM... might get some back with a nice demo vid of the system (maybe just because i like demo vids of these things :D )

i love the guitar - not sure the synth pickup is doing it any favours though. looks like the borg got hold of it, i would have been tempted to ghostify it

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

either that or build a borg themed guitar :D

I built a Ghost equipped guitar for myself last year... And honestly I think I like the GK better for Both Synth and V-Guitar modeling. I'm so completely over the looks part of the GK... It doesn't bug me in the least, but I agree that it's un-pretty. But this is to be a functional workhorse.

P1010205.jpg

HOLY CRAP! Do you have a build thread of that one somewhere? I would love to know more about that. It's gorgeous.

I hope you don't consider this an insult, it's meant in the highest form as a compliment, I assure you....

I thought this was a modified factory guitar after looking at the pics. :D

I read the comments about synths, P-90's and then the 'old school Charvel' thing made me forget that you BUILT this guitar.

Bravo !! I love how simple, yet competely great this came out. Beers to you, my amigo. :D

HOLY CRAP! Do you have a build thread of that one somewhere? I would love to know more about that. It's gorgeous.

I do have a bunch of build photos of the Ghost equipped guitar but never posted it as a build thread anywhere... I didn't think the forum would consider it very cool to post a build thread for a guitar I did a year ago. If everyone is OK I'll can make a build thread. (Can it go as a GOTM entry too?)