2 Part Body Question

Hey all... I'm going to make my lovely girlfriend a bass... And my question is, do any of you see a problem with using 2 3/4" thick bits of mahogany to make a 1.5" thick body? So basically it would be a mahogany body with a mahogany top... Kind of...

The reason I'm asking is because a good friend of mine recently donated a mahogany table to me for making guitars, but it's only 3/4" thick.

Thanks all!

Depending on what other design features you plan, it may be worth considering putting a veneer/veneers between the halves to make a feature rather than looking like a patch-together job.

like the fender rosewood teles

MIJRosewood.jpg

Depending on what other design features you plan, it may be worth considering putting a veneer/veneers between the halves to make a feature rather than looking like a patch-together job.

like the fender rosewood teles

MIJRosewood.jpg

I've done a pancake body before and it worked just fine.

BTW, has anyone here ever played a RW Tele? Always wondered how they sounded. :D

Great, Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think there would be a problem as they put maple caps on body's so that was sort of what would be happening anyways.

@ brian d... Yeah I was considering putting a small veneer of a figured maple between the two halves, So helps to know that I'm not the only one.

Thanks all!