Materials Question

Hi everybody!

I just want to make quick question: What materials are suitable for making prototypes of the guitar bodies? Or for some tests of your own design?

I dont have any experience but i imagine that there will be lot of cutting, testing and lot of failure attempts, so wood is little bit hard to work with..

Thx!

Michall

Of course we use wood for prototypes...and wood is the easiest to use as well...you just use inexpensive woods for the prototypes...sometimes.A lot of the guys around here use construction grade pine for their first..even I tested my first laminations and cutting on pine,although I hate pine and would never put strings on it.

Alder is one of the cheapest woods around,and is used in guitars by all of the higher end manufacturers...maple for the neck is only a bit more expensive,but it takes very little of it.

You can make a guitar body out of anything you like, as long as it has enough strength to support the pull of the strings. Even if it doesn't, you can do a string through design or something.

EDIT: I once made a guitar out of nothing but ambient air, help together by the power of my mind. It wasn't very loud, but the tone I heard was better than any guitar I've ever heard in my life. Hmm...Maybe I ought to make a copy of that and sell it.

Air guitars, anyway? Is there an interest? I could produce proprietary parts as well.

Edited by dpm99