Flame Top Tele Style / H-h W/ Trem

I was just commissioned to build a custom guitar for a Tele player. I'm going to try to photo document this build as best as I can, I usually get so busy buidling that I forget to take pics. So here are the specs.

Bondy - Honduras Mahogany (I was fortunate to find a nice 1 piece body for this build.)

Top - Flame Maple

Binding - (Undetermined, either natural a'la PRS or Multi ply)

Neck - Flame Maple

Finger Board - Ebony

Fret wire - EVO Gold

Pickups - H-x-H Type undetermined at the moment, will probably hit up a boutique winder for a jazzy HB set

Tuning machines - Hip Shot Locking

Bridge - Hipshot Trem

Flame Maple Top Bookmatch

IMAG0093.jpg

Top un-joined

IMAG0094.jpg

Flame Maple Neck Blank resting on the 1 piece Honduras Mahogany Body blank.

IMAG0095.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool cool, any idea on body design yet?

Oh, it's gonna be a Tele body shape with Les Paul style controls. The guy that commissioned the guitar is a Tele player. He wants a more Gibson style tone vibe in a Tele package. He's tried several gibbys over the last couple of years but keeps going back to his Teles for playability.

I'll do some more wood prep and get some templates whipped up over the next couple of days... I'm gonna try and push myself to get it sprayed in just a couple of weeks. More pics to come.

Today was template making day... I drew up the design in CAD and started busting out a set of templates today. I'm just breaking in the CNC so I'm still leary of doing a whole body in the machine... maybe next time.... but since this is a one off I thought I'd do templates that I can combine with other tele templates for a Thinline or other H-H or Trem style teles.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012-2.jpg

There are a few other templates... but you get the point.

looks great! im not sure how i missed that it was tele style when i asked that in my last post... haha

your thinline tele build vs my thinline-ish tele build. im going with a different shape instead of the F though.

and yours is much more precise :D wish i could cnc, but all i have is a jigsaw and a belt sander, and a half-ass router that just likes to poke holes and not route :D

The spanish clamp is interesting. I'd be interested in learning a little more about it.

+1

It looks like it is tied up with king size clothes pins and nylon rope and then uses wedges shoved in there to create the tension. With an added benefit of holding the horizontal surfaces on a plane.

Tell us more. :D

SR

It looks like it is tied up with king size clothes pins and nylon rope and then uses wedges shoved in there to create the tension. With an added benefit of holding the horizontal surfaces on a plane.

Tell us more. :D

SR

That pretty much sums it up. I ordered the plans when I built mine. It works a treat

OK I got a bit more done today. Made a lot of sawdust chambering the mahogany.

Band sawing the body blank.

IMAG0015.jpg

Flush trimming the blank to the template on the router table

IMAG0016.jpg

Hogging out the bulk of the chambering cavities.

IMAG0017.jpg

And Here are the finished chambers, hope to get the top glued on and serviced tomorrow.

IMAG0018.jpg

Still working on it today....

Got the f-hole routed and the top glued on.

IMAG0022-1.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Need to order some dye tomorrow so that I can try to get the body ready to spray next weekend. As soon as my truss rod gets here so that I can take measurements, I'll draw up a CAD file for the neck and start on that.

Tonight I was working on the inlay and Fingerboard.

Here's a little vid of cutting the fret slots

th_VIDEO0009.jpg

Here's one of the pearl getting cut.

th_VIDEO0010.jpg

The guy I'm building this one for wanted "Faith" inlaid in gothic letters to match his tattoo.

IMAG0132.jpg

I try to nest 1/4" and 3/32" dots for fret markers around the empty spaces in the pearl blanks.. I never run out of these.

IMAG0136.jpg

Edited by 3DogNate

Let's see if I can actually embed those vids...

Here's a little vid of cutting the fret slots

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr249/renegade900/Guitars/DexTele/?action=view&current=VIDEO0009.mp4

Here's one of the pearl getting cut.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr249/renegade900/Guitars/DexTele/?action=view&current=VIDEO0010.mp4

Edited by 3DogNate

Here I am with a freshly glued filler strip over the truss rod.

IMAG0138.jpg

Flushed up.

IMAG0139.jpg

I machine the neck and neck pocket to have an interference fit which forces me to sand and scrape to a perfect fit.

IMAG0140.jpg

Check it... I holding the body up by the neck... you can't get a better fit than this.

IMAG0141.jpg