Gap Between Neck And Body

I was really excited to start my first guitar project. I decided I'd buy a pre cut body and neck since im just getting my feet wet. The neck lays flat on the body, but there is an approximately 4mm gap between the end of the neck and where the pickguard would be. What do I do about this?

Glad to see you are getting started! What style of guitar are you building? Do you have a way to post a pic of the gap you are talking about?

pics lets see some pics

first thing i would do is check the scale. and see if the neck is sitting in the right place if not then i would start working on getting the scale right. if the scale is right then i would probably either make a filler block or leave it alone it depends on how much effect ist gonna have on structure and apearance.

2011-10-07_150548.jpg

2011-10-07_150541.jpg

This is my first time doing anything with guitar building so tell me what I can figure from these numbers: it's 12 inches from the nut to the very end of the 11th fret and then another 12 inches from the beginning of the 13th fret to the end of the bridge pickup cavity. Does this scale seem fine for simply filling this gap?

Edited by Ilyusha

You are going to be measuring from the fretboard side of your nut to the 12th fret, then from the 12th fret to the bridge. It would be good to get a measurment from the bridge with the saddles let out about three quarters of the way and then with them adjusted in about one quarter of the way from the extreme rear.

What brand of kit is that?

From the top pick on the left side of the pocket there appears to be a ledge about 1/16" or so at the bottom of the pocket. Is this an illusion?, Can you post a pic looking straight down into the pocket without the neck?

scale should be 25.5...divide that by 2 = 12.75

start at the nut and check at the 12th fret.... this should be 12.75"

then from the 12th fret to the bridge should be the "other" 12.75"

it's possible the neck is not correct as far as where the holes are drilled.... you will need to have your bridge in place to really check this..... on the bridge, place the adjustment "all the way out" on the screws and check it that way as the true adjustment is actually a bit more than 25.5" on most of the strings

if the neck is not drilled properly, look through the search function and you will find out how to remedy this

I didnt order a kit, just separate parts off guitarfetish.

Also, with measuring scale length, i dont understand how it's done. On my g&l, the length from the nut to 12th fret is 12 inches. hypothetically, the scale length would be 24..but when I measure from the 12th fret to the bridge saddles, I get 13 inches. the guitar sounds fine, so what am I measuring wrong?

I talked to a luthier today. He said that each neck has to be custom fit for a body. He told me to sand the neck until its fits well

, it's not installed yet

Meaning there are no screw holes yet?If that is the case,sand the heel until it fits(looks like the rounded corners are the culprit,they don't look rounded enough),and then measure from the nut at the fretboard side to your scale length(probably 25.5") and place the bridge where the saddles are at the scale length while they are all the way forward.