Second Build - Doubleneck No Cut Les Paul Junior

At it again! With the first build almost finished, how can I not start a second? So, the thing is, I've wanted a doubleneck for some time. I want to play some 12-string and I think they look cool, but they're expensive enough to make me not want to buy one. When I was looking through the internet for some inspiration I found a build thread on here featuring a no cut les paul (I think it was avengers maybe?) and got hooked on that idea. So I'm stealing it using it as my inspiration.

To make it a bit easier for me, I decided to make it a junior model, rather than a standard les paul. No carving, no binding, not that many pickups, no fancy finish. Should be difficult enough for a beginner like me anyway.

So, here we go!. The specs are:

Mahogany body/necks. Haven't decided if I want it solid, chambered or swiss cheesed yet. I'm not going to gig with it or anything, so weight isn't really an issue

chrome hardware, one 12 sting tune-o-matic, one 6 string vibrola

p-90 pickups. one in neck position for 12 string, one or two for 6 string. Haven't made my mind up about this yet.

rosewood fretboard

black pickguard

tv yellow finish

one 3-way switch, selecting either or both of the pickups in case I go with two, or either of the three if I get that one extra

black speed knobs (probably only two as opposed to how it's drawn on the mockup)

(of course most of this is subject to change until I've actually bought the stuff)

Here's the mockup

mockup_640.png

And here's the progress.

http://www.ds.karen.hj.se/~sebbe/testbok/index.php?album=projekt3/

For some reason the images turn sideways when I upload them, I want to sort that out before I post them in the thread.

So far I've started gluing the body blanks, and cut the necks. I tried to glue the scarf joint today, but it didn't turn out so good, so I have to do some reading before getting at it again. The taping method seems like a good way to go.

I fixed my image problems! Turns out my phone and computer used the exif information in the files to display them correctly, which didn't happen when they were uploaded. Had to rotate them in an editor, save them and rotate them back again.

Anyway, time for some progress pics!

Body being glued. I got my hands on some really cheap mahogany, less than a third of the normal rate if I did the math right. The only drawback being that they were only 25mm thick. Not a big deal for me and it also makes it easier to route chambers and/or wiring.

limning_640.JPG

neck pieces

halsvirke_640.JPG

sanding for scarf joints

huvudslip_640.JPG

Edited by sebbeklang

Neck gluing in progress. The tape method is working like a charm,

scarf_320.JPG

Both necks.

halslimning_320.JPG

Body pieces band sawed and a bit sanded. I'm going to wait until they're glued together before I do the final shaping

kropp_320.JPG

Body pieces with plans on top. I've sketched the rout channels for wiring, but they're not final yet. Have to make the decision whether to have two pickups or three first. I'm leaning towards two. It would be cool to have a 12/6 label instead of rhythm/treble on the switch plate.

ritning_320.JPG

Today I glued the body pieces.

Routing for wire channel. Some tape to cover

wirechannel_320.JPG

Clamps clamps clamps. I have to get some more, this isn't the ideal amount I guess.

clamping_320.JPG

Final decisions made today: It will be a solidbody, it will have two pickups.

On monday I'll sand/rasp the body to its final shape. I guess I'll see then whether or not I should've used more clamps.

When I was looking through the internet for some inspiration I found a build thread on here featuring a no cut les paul (I think it was avengers maybe?) and got hooked on that idea. So I'm stealing it using it as my inspiration.

Yea, that was me. It's on hold indefinitely until I get another scrollsaw. Feel free to steal away. I have no shame when I do it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Routing for truss rod. Didn't get it exactly in the center, will have to remember that when i saw out the neck shape

routing_320.JPG

Fretboard being glued on, using the other neck as block. Managed to resist the temptation of gluing both at once to save time.

gluefretboard_320.JPG

Drew out the shape on the back of the necks and sawed. I'm pretty sure I got it centered.

Everything laid out on the floor. This build is finally getting to the point of looking like a guitar.

necks_320.JPG

Next up is deciding on headstock shape, sawing that up and basically get the rough shape of the necks done. I don't know whether I'll get to inlaying, fretting and contour shaping before I rout the body cavities, we'll see. Nothing's going to happen before christmas anyway I think.

For headstock shape I'm thinking I might make it like on a melody maker, except a bit wider. Or just standard les paul shape

Yea, that was me. It's on hold indefinitely until I get another scrollsaw. Feel free to steal away. I have no shame when I do it. :D

good to hear :D

Make sure you leave enough room between the heads to tune one without de-tuning the other.SR

yeah, i realized that might become a problem (at one point i was even worried that i wouldn't get enough room for my hand between the necks while playing the 12-string), but after measuring i think it'll be fine. it'll probably still be a hassle to tune it, but at least it'll be possible.