Cnc Aluminum Guitar

Hi to everybody!

About three years ago I decided that I wanted to build a headless guitar.

Before starting I had to find the necessary hardware: I immediately thought to use an RTrem by Steinberger, but unfortunately, after Music Yo closing, Steinberger hardware had become almost impossible to find. :P

The alternatives were few, and not really affordable prices... :D So one night, talking with a good friend of mine we decided to produce our own.

Initially would be only one fixed bridge that had to be mounted on a healdess guitar inspired by my Music Man Axis (which I'm still working on...), however after the first encouraging results we decided to go further: to build an instrument entirely of aluminum... B)

As a tribute to that which still remains the symbol of headless guitars, we decided to make a replica of the Steinberger GL.

The goal was to create a lightweight guitar, practice, it was easy to reconfigure in the future, and it would sound in a unique way. :D

After several attempts for the neck, we decided making it hollow, with truss rod inside and with wooden keyboard.

Solid aluminum neck is not as stable and weighs much more. In addition, we wanted to keep a bit of tradition and so we decided to put an ebony fingerboard onto the aluminum neck.

These are some photos that I hope will give an idea of what has been achieved.

Unfortunately I have not many more photos during the process. I'm sorry. B)

cnc1.th.jpg

This was our best friend for more than three months...

cnc5.th.jpg

This is brass used for all hardware: I bought only frets and and pickups.

cnc2.th.jpg

This is the hollow neck with self made single action truss rod.

cnc6.th.jpg

This is the guitar inside: we have arranged for the housing of all types of pickups, in any configuration. It can be equipped with a fixed bridge or either a tremolo.

cnc3.th.jpg

This is the body assembled with the aluminum top.

cnc8.th.jpg

This is the finished product.

It sounds great and weighs only about 6,7 lb.

Edited by Technology4Musicians

the bridges look just like ola strandberg's design

http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/products/

I know Ola and Ola knows me.

The design is inspired by that of Atlansia, it is similar but different from then Strandberg's one: I do not want to dwell in listing the differences, however, in summary, my bridge also accepts double ball end strings and the materials are different: aluminum for Strandberg, brass and steel for mine.

I never heard of Atlansia,but after researching just a bit I found this

http://www.atlansia.jp/

WILL.NOBU.TUNER.JPG

Or this:

atl1.th.jpg

atl2.th.jpg

Take a look to Mr. Hayashi inventions: he's a genius and his work could be an inspiration for all.

This is my interpretation:

ponteoro.th.jpg

singolaoro.th.jpg

Let me clarify that I have nothing against Mr Strandberg: I believe that his products and guitars are beautiful works.

PS: could someone edit the title of the 3D and modify it in "CNC Aluminum Guitar"? Thank you!

Edited by Technology4Musicians

the materials are different: aluminum for Strandberg, brass and steel for mine.

yeah i did notice, but i reckon aluminium could look better on yours and suit the overall theme of the instrument nicely. but i dont really like the way brass hardware ages - at least not on something that looks as 'high tech' as this

is anyone doing this style of bridge at a reasonable price yet - because as much as i want to do a headless i cant afford ola's

The bridge is made of brass but the color you see is GOLD finish. I've made it also in chrome and black, but with black anodizing GOLD hardware looks better IMHO.

that is what i was hoping you were going to say. still not the aesthetic choice i would make - just because there is nothing else of that colour on the guitar