Prefered Truss Rod Types ?

Wasn't it yourself Southpa who was a vocal advocate of the compression qualities?

I've illustrated how the Stewmac hotrod works in the past but never considered them to be the best. You can always find pros and cons with anything these days. I'm just saying that a single action rod works just as well FOR ME and MY guitars. I found the hotrod difficult to fit into fender style necks because of it's depth and I find that rods that are actually "anchored" into the wood are more responsive. It just boils down to what kind of wood you are putting it in in the first place.

I had a discussion about this with a buddy just yesterday regarding the actual QUALITY of factory made guitars as opposed to custom built. My guitar price guide described some discrepancies in Gibson LP's built in the past years. In a couple they actually mentioned that the neck used was "quartersawn" over a few production years. I was under the impression that Gibson, of all companies, would have used q-sawn necks exclusively!

More than likely it was pot luck as to which necks using quartersawn had rolled off into the reviewer's hands. I couldn't agree more with your statement about finding pros and cons with anything. This is in part due to the choice we have now which did not exist 20-30 years ago. Remember back in the 80s when the aftermarket really developed? All kinds of pickups, strings, other goodies (and various snake oils) became easier to acquire outside of the "boutique zone". Welcome the inception of Guitar Noun magazine, or perhaps Adjective Guitar. A couple of tabs and interview sandwiched in a veritable feast of adverts and hyperbole with the usual black and whites at the back selling Warmoth gear, a BEST OIL EVAR and maybe even "Adders".

*cough*

In fairness, the "original" truss rod designs seen in the necks of decent guitars from the 70s/80s and before still do their job really well. The underlying designs haven't really changed, but the availability and subsequent variations in quality have. Much of this cheap crap didn't exist then because there wasn't a market for it. In that respect I would say it is our own damn fault. :D

I see nothing wrong in finding a nice length of steel, peening a barrel nut on one end, threading the other and doing a little basic woodworking to create a curved channel and a fillet. There's more zen in that.

Right, off to take my medications and doze off till the nurses wake me up tomorrow to deal with my email and do more soldering. :D

• 2 weeks later...