The Evolution Of My Headstock Designs

I took some snap pics today of old guitars I had laying around to do a pictorial about the evolution of my headstock shapes over the years.

My reverse pointy:

headstockevolution.jpg

a) Started off about a decade ago as a blatent ASM copy - I NEVER sold any of these

B) A bit later I decided to sharpen the lines and add a more extreme hook

c) I realised my "B" shape looked like crap so I smoothed it out a bit. I was still freehand drawing this onto the timber every build

d) I finally madce a template and dialed in the lines a bit better. This shape I built 3 of. 2 of them I still own, one of them has toured all over Australia. This shape I liked but the thin "E" tuner was off at too much of an angle. Ok for a guitar with a locking nut, but no good if it's a regular nut

e) My current headstock, fixed the "E" problem by leaning the headstock tip down a bit and making less of a hook.

My "Side by Side" design process

headstockevolutionsidebyside.jpg

I wanted something small and pointy, so I looked at the PRS headstock and decided what I did and didn't like about it. I didnt like the symetrical aspect or the tip.

(a & B) I started with my reverse point template and got the top and bottom curves to match my side by side and moved them around till I like the offset:

After messing around on autocad with a million different curves I finally worked on the basis that if I could tightly squeeze 3 tuners on the bottom and 4 on the top, that's give me my curve lengths

c, d & e) To make the headstock easily repeatable, I made all the tight curves match my linisher drum.

f) My current Side by side headstock.