Glue

vwall

Well guys, Im not luthier.. so I occasionally have a question or 5 :D

I am restoring a 40 year old Gibson acoustic and the pick guard is clean off.

I need to glue it and don't want to use the wrong glue..

Its tortoise shell or maybe plastic.. but it looks tortoise..

I need a glue that will dry clear and not show the glue drop like Crazy Glue does..

I read the replies in another thread and could not find any CA glue other than crazy glue...

any ideas?

Id like to be able to just get it local so I don't have to wait on it.

thanks

Use double sided picture mounting tape, it will last a long time but will not do any damage to the guitars finish should it ever need to be removed. It's also incredibly thin as there is no plastic carrier, it is basically a sticky tape like adhesive on a paper backer, you rub it down, peel of the paper, and it leaves a sticky surface that the guard will stick to. If you need to remove it, a little heat will loosen it, and some goo gone will take it off.

Titebond will bleed thru the shell..

I did a small sample area to test it so that choice is ixnay.. but thanks.

Jeremy... wow!

Never heard of that before.. not surprising.. I need to get out more..

I am supposing this double stick it like as film material, very very thin?

It would have to be...

Any tips on where to buy it?

Thanks guys!!

3M produces the best tape I've found, when you want to get rid of it you just kind of rub it over like rubber cement. I think it's product number 456, but I can't remember. There is no actual tape film, it's like a double sided adhesive on a brown wax paper strip, you lay down the sticky side, rub it down, then peel off the paper, and you are left with a sticky strip. It's not cheap, about $12 a roll, but it will go a long way, don't try to cover the entire pickguard either, do the perimeter, and a cross in the middle. I don't think walmart would have it, in fact I'm sure they won't, they'll carry the scotch brand, but it has a plastic carrier strip in between the adhesive which will add thickness. Any art or drafting supply store should carry the 3M stuff.