Lacewood?

My local lumber store also sells it. One wood that I really wish they had is alder. It's not like it's an exotic or extremely rare wood. Their supplier told them that they have to order a huge amount so they never do. I can get most other common tone woods though.

Gilmer has it showing but they have a $100 min.

By the way, what the heck are you building - or are you just changing your mind a lot?

quick facts: in Australia, no one calls Lacewood Lacewood. it is commonly known as Silky Oak. <<< Lacewood is also grown in Brazil but true Lacewood [or Silky Oak] is from Australia.

i'm lucky, i can get 150mm x 50mm for $10 a metre. that's only because it is a native though. i'm sorry, i suppose that doesn't help. the only wood i can't get at my local wood shop is african ebony and honduran rosewood. :D

i'm sorry, i suppose that doesn't help.

Quite the contrary....It helps me very much....I tried to find an Australian supplier for lacewood without success because I did not now that the Australians call it "silky oak". I heard this name often, but I though it is only used by "unproffessional" suppliers outside of Astralica and lacewood is the correct name. Thanks for clearing that up. Can you recommend an Astralian supplier who stocks lacewood?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knapp!

are you saying australians are unprofessional. :D only joking!

i will look for a supplier who stocks 'silky oak' and that ships internationally, but i cannot promise anything because there are hardly any suppliers that ship internationally and that are on the net.

I am very interested in buying a lacewood set from you. The one picture you posted looks great. Do you have pictures of the other sets as well? If yes please send them to me so that I can choose the one I like best. I would prefer to do the deal outside of ebay though, because I want the top as soon as possible. If you are concerned about the price, I'll pay you a very good price if I find the figure I want among the tops you have. I could pay you via paypal.

Please send me a email to hanskrempl@gmx.de which is a backup email address, as I dont want to post my main email address here in fear of spammers.

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knapp!

Hi Marcel/GuitarMaestro,

Have you tried MAX CROPP Timbers in Hamburg. I use to go there a couple of times each year to stock up, and I know I have seen Lacewood/Silky Oak.

Link Here

You can also try Woodland, also located in Germany / Hammersbach

Link Here

I also use to search for wood suppliers at the IHB Internationale Holzboerse GmbH/IHB Timber Exchange. Its a great resource for finding woods all over the world.

Link Here

well i looked around and called a few place, but i didn't have any luck finding a company reliable and willing enough to ship silky oak out to Germany. however, i think Vendelcrow has found your winners, and it would certainly be cheaper as they are closer. :D

Okay Marcel...

and good luck with that silky oak top.

By the way, Sweden is not a good country for getting good tone woods. Most of my stock came from abroad. The only thing we got plent of is alder and mazur birch ( I think most of the alder stock that Ed Roman is using comes from Sweden).

The alder grows a litter slower here, and therefore is a bit more dense.

that's funny, i didn't see Maestro reply when i was typing my reply.