Can You Clear Coat Over Mylar?

bob123

A clear coat will not damage the reflectivity. You just need to test to see if your clear sticks to polyester.

SR

Thanks, I know clearing over certain materials ruins the reflectivity of it, or can even damage it. Mylar is a strange material, so Im not sure how it will react. Guess theres only one way to find out I guess... Hoping someone here maybe has done something with it material wise.

Edited by bob123

Mylar is metalized polyester. It gets printed on including clear coated all the time.....But those are inks- not wood finishes. I don't know how it will react to those. The reflectance is caused by light bouncing off the metalized surface. As long as your clear does not block the light--in which case it would not be clear would it? As long as the light can pass through it it will still reflect.

SR

We have a lot of mylar film at work for radiation detectors (beta blockers), so I may have to... "procure" a peice to try it out on ;)

I was just thinking, I know you can get colored mylars, a copper colored mylar top with black binding would look pretty sick if done correctly imo.