Problem With Neck And Itonation

I have partscaster that I put a mighty mite neck cut for floyd rose nut. I installed a Fender lsr nut on it and put it together.. Everything seems fine except intonation. My 12th fretted note is sharp and I have moved the saddle back as far as it will go.

The FR nut was a bit wider than the fender roller nut. Is it possible the nut is too close to the 1st fret? I placed it flush with the 1st fret as you would expect. Not sure how s floyd rose nut works or if the string contact point is closer to the tuners than the lsr is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rut

The LSR isn't designed to replace a FR nut. Look at this picture:

DV016_Jpg_Large_361268.jpg

The string break point is moved away from the edge of the unit towards the rollers, thus effectively elongating the scale length and if installed in a non-LSR neck messing up your intonation, not only at the 12'th fret, but all over the neck. To install the LSR you need to cut away a small piece of the fret board towards the 1'st fret to compensate for this. That is included in the instruction for the LSR if I'm not mistaken (I have installed a LSR on a non-LSR neck once and my memory is that this was clearly stated in the instructions...). This is not to patronize you, but if you do not grasp the concept that the LSR need to be closer to the frets and doesn't read the instructions (or did you get the LSR second hand without instructions, if so I apologize) with the unit I really think that you should get you an alternative solution;

9612_ebanol_nut_1.jpg

This is a drop-in non-locking replacement that doesn't require any modifications to your neck

EDIT: Installation instructions:

http://www.axesrus.com/images/lsrfit.pdf

You need to remove .094" or 2.3876mm from the fretboard to get the nut in the right place

I understand about the lsr neck needing to be closer to the bridge. I thought I had read where it did work with the lsr nut. But if what you say is correct, shouldn't I have the opposite problem (can't make it short enough)? Tuned to pitch, fretting on 12th fret is sharp. I thought you needed the nut to bridge length longer to correct this problem. Your suggestion would make it shorter.

Confused,

Rut

I understand about the lsr neck needing to be closer to the bridge. I thought I had read where it did work with the lsr nut. But if what you say is correct, shouldn't I have the opposite problem (can't make it short enough)? Tuned to pitch, fretting on 12th fret is sharp. I thought you needed the nut to bridge length longer to correct this problem. Your suggestion would make it shorter.

Confused,

Rut

I don't know how to explain this easily... Think like this: Originally you have a 25.5" scale. You have moved the string break point towards the tuners and tune to standard pitch. Now the 12'th fret isn't at 12.75" distance from the nut, rather 12.75 + .094" from the string break point of the nut, thus making notes fretted on the 12'th fret sharp as the fret, in relation to the string break point of the nut, have been moved towards the bridge.

Even if it was possible to adjust the saddles of the bridge long enough to get the 12'th fret to intonate, you would have a pitch that would get progressively sharper when fretting closer to the nut and flatter when fretting towards the bridge. That is because you have actually changed the scale (nut-bridge distance ) from 25.5" to 25.594".

Again (and not to patronize you or beat you over the head with this, really not my intention) if you don't get that part, make life easier for yourself and let the LSR go and get a non-locking FR replacement nut. Allparts have them. Parts number is shown on the pic above.

After that you also need to make sure that you have the right body for the neck. Not all parts are interchangeable.

• Like 1