Serpentine Guitars UK 2014 Build Thread, Updates, etc

I have decided that it's about time I kept on top of my threads on GB&C. I have a habit of starting one, updating for a while and then abandoning (or deleting) it because I don't have the time. Well, now I am going to make the time.

Some of you may have seen one or two of my previous builds here or elsewhere, including these...
gallery-19.jpg
gallery-01.jpg
48_hardware-fitting_zpse5665dcb.jpg
The latter (Kingravi 7-string) is not quite finished yet, having spent some time recently working on the headstock logo and custom text. This one will be complete within the next couple of weeks, so look out for that one here.
I also have some new projects on the go which include the new Serpentine Guitars "DC-II" and "Hydra" that I've recently started working on...
dc2-hydra-run-promo-pic_zps19e4f9cf.jpg
Templates have been made and the first stock build of each of those is about to start very soon so I'll be posting photos here as that gets underway.
In the meantime, any feedback on the DC-II and Hydra designs is appreciated :D
  • Like 1

I also have some new projects on the go which include the new Serpentine Guitars "DC-II" and "Hydra" that I've recently started working on...

%7Boption%7D
Templates have been made and the first stock build of each of those is about to start very soon so I'll be posting photos here as that gets underway.
In the meantime, any feedback on the DC-II and Hydra designs is appreciated :D

Sorry, original image deleted. Here's with the new URL...

dc-ii-hydra-promo_zps05b6784a.jpg

Edited by SerpentineGtars

• 2 weeks later...
Latest from the Serpentine Guitars workshop is;
Kingravi custom 7-string is finished... as soon as I receive the 32mm Floyd Rose sustain block that's on order from the USA (should've ordered it sooner really)...
555_zps2e5581b5.jpg
Three new builds underway - Limba/Bubinga 6-string DC-II and Mahogany/Eucalyptus 7-string Hydra and Black Walnut custom 7-string DC...
013_zpsae5b5cd5.jpg
016_zps18b1f52e.jpg
015_zpsa5167054.jpg
  • Like 1

Wow, love the style. Great looking pieces of kit! How did you get that stone/marble look on the first guitar?

Very impressive fit and finish. The headstock shape looks out of place to me, but I understand that was a design element from the customer, soooo........whatcha gonna do?

SR

Thanks ScottR... And fair comment about the headstock. It has been a talking point during the build but the customer is happy with it and that's what counts :)

• 2 weeks later...
One of our current builds, custom Black Walnut 7-string DC, on a 6-months payment plan. All "construction" work now complete, waiting for radius, dot inlays, neck profile/carve and body routs/mounts (for neck, BKP Juggernauts and Hipshot fixed bridge)...
014_zpsd61316ca.jpg
Our DC headstock, reversed, with Black Walnut veneer and binding...
015_zpsb010a708.jpg
016_zps842dba95.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Serpentine Guitars is back online after ongoing issues with Sky/BT following our recent move. It has been a busy couple of months with painting and general maintenance on the new workshop - now ready for fitting with new workbenches and tools/equipment - whilst continuing work on our current builds.
I am currently sorting through a backlog of photos and emails at the moment, but here is a taster of what's been going on since the move.
Birdseye Maple fretboard fret slot ends filled - Maple dust and glue can appear very translucent at times, so I've opted for veneer plugs...
022_zpsfa9a623a.jpg
Current Black Walnut custom 7-string DC build...
025_zps9e424540.jpg
027_zpsc48b794d.jpg
030_zps0fb3fe64.jpg
031_zps5a0874a1.jpg
Got the Wohlwend inlay work back from the States a few weeks ago. The fretboard is now glued to the neck and frets installed...
16_zpsb663f024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Another build nearing completion - this one will only be primed for now before shipping back to Switzerland for some airbrush magic by the Mr Wohlwend. It will then come back to us for a clear coat finish and assembly; Alder body custom SS 6-string with one-piece quartersawn Maple neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard with custom inlay work, Schaller Lockmeister tremolo, Schaller M6 tuners and Bare Knuckle Pups...
42_zpsf113ba88.jpg
41_zps10303654.jpg
  • Like 1