Dodgy wood in headstock

Alright guys, the other night I was finishing off my headstock by putting a carve into it (at the very top away from the tuners). Unfortunately, I hit some dodgy wood that looks like it was once a big patch of sap (not sure if thats what it is) :D:DB) .

This left my absolutely stunning headstock (if I do say so myself) look terrible with a big brown patch in it. I tried to carve down past it but the patch travels quite a long way through the wood and this wasn't possible. Sadly the only option was to cut the corner off. This has left the headstock looking no where as nice a shape as it did.

I'm thinking of painting the headstock to match the body now. I'm going to do the quilted maple top with a blue stain and paint the headstock solid blue (although this isn't preferable). My main problem is that the back of the headstock will look terrible with a join across the top corner. Can anyone think of what I can do to the back of the headstock to make it look better, or any fix I can do.

I would prefer to leave the headstock (front and back) natural, but I don't think this is an option with the 'orrid joint. Is there a fix I can do to hide the joint without painting the headstock a solid colour?

Cheers guys.

Yeah, I thought of that and it's an option. The problem is my neck is 3 pieces (maple:zebrawood:maple) as is my fretboard. I really wanted this line to continue up through the headstock.

If I did this what would I do to the sides of the headstock as they would still look like plain maple?

If I did this what would I do to the sides of the headstock as they would still look like plain maple?

That is a real problem. I am currently designing a neck I'll make out of curly maple, which has a very extreme headstock shape which probably forces me to laminate it from several pieces in order to have the grain direction changing with the shape of the headstock. I though about simply veneering the top and bottom, but this would still allow to see the glue joints of the pieces at the side and the figure at the sides will be broken. I already thought about steam bending a strip of veneer arround the headstock, so that it covers the sides. I think this would be quite difficult though. It would also not work with your requirement of the different types of wood showing through at the end of the peghad....And if your headstock shapping has sharp edges it will not work as well. So I have no further ideas....:D

Ahaa, I've had a cunning plan. Admittadly it's going to involve a lot of sanding but it's a plan.

What I need to know now is a wood that has a similar colour (when fininshed) to the dark bits of zebrawood (when finished). Anyone got any ideas? :D

Wes, I've said it before "You are the man" Maybe your new name should be Westhefishermann. Like the new avatar by the way.

What I've done is cut the 'orrid bit off of the corner (in a wavy style) and I'm going to glue this bit on the corner. Then I'm going to cut the corner off this (in a wavy style) and put a piece of maple on it. Very hard to explain, but I've cut off the dodgy bit and replaced it with a wavy vertical stripe and a bit of maple that will be carved. Won't look fantastic but should be better than the ugly wood poo stain.

Cheers for all the hel[p guys, I'll try to get a decent digital camera together and show you what I mean. =o)