dean playmate reshape

slackard

Howdy.

New to the forum & looking for some input.  Have built a few acoustic instruments, but this will be my first stab at an electric project..

A buddy came across a $40 dean evo "Playmate" slab guitar at wallyworld or some place, on closeout a few years back.

Its obviously a cheap Chinese model, but the neck is straight, fret work is good, has a and it plays reasonably well.  It also came with an EMG Select bridge pickup which sell new for 20$ more than we paid for this guitar :)

So, my thoughts were to bevel and smooth over the 90degree slab edges and add in a few Strat-esque cut-aways for added comfort/playability ..  See the attached before/after cad rendering below.

Since it doesnt seem to have much value, it could be a fun reshape project.  However, I wouldnt want to de-value an otherwise good guitar, so please tell me if this is a bad idea...

Thanks!

dean.jpg

Just updating for anyone interested.. A little over half way through this dean evo/playmate re-shape.  Decided to add an SG style neck cut away & bevels in addition to the strat-esque body  profiling.

Tools employed include a drill press and hole saw for the neck cut away.  The body carving was done with a Stanley hand saw to rough in the shapes and, a wood rasp to refine.  Then an electric palm sander with 220 grit to knock down the tool marks.

A bit more carving to do, then copious sanding, and still thinking about how to re-finish..  I prefer natural grain, but this 7piece basswood body doesnt have that AAAA figured look ;)   Will probably go with flat black in lieu of another / better idea.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Enjoy!

playmate1.jpg

playmate2.jpg

playmate3.jpg

playmate4.jpg

playmate5.jpg

playmate6.jpg

playmate6b.jpg

playmate7.jpg

playmate8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...