should the nut be recessed?

-sigh- I's still drawing my guitar and I'm in the process of finishing it. One thing I didnt spend too much (if any) time on is the placement of the nut... :D

Since there will be a nut (duh) I want to place it as correct as possible. I could take measurements from the guitars I already own but I want to know how to install them. I'm planning to use graphite.

TIA

JP

you mean how deep should the nut slot be?? that's pretty much up to you, some gibsons just cut the fretboard at the nut and the nut actually sits on the back part of the neck, and the truss rod cover sits on the other side of the nut so the nut is over 1/4" (6.35mm)tall,

On other guitars the nut sits on top of the fingerboard like fender for example, and the slot can varry from 1/8" (3.175mm) to 3/16" (4.762mm) deep

thanks

is there a difference in tone when installing it onto the fboard? I've asked the company that sells me the compound radiused and slotted fboard to slot a zero-fret in it, and another one that has 'regualar' slotting. I was thinking that using a zerofret only requires a nut to space the strings and not determine the height of the strings. I could be wrong though...

Also, on some website they said that a zerofret should sound 'better' compared to any nut. Don't know if that's true or not and I really don't care that much either since most guitars are made with a nut and sound great. So that might be a myth, however, I like the idea of having a zerofret that is totally in tune with the other frets so I want to use it.

Another question comes up while I writing this (partly with a dictionary since english isn't my first language heh)... Can I use a locked nut on a zerofretted board??

TIA

JP

Ps. I want to apologize for asking alot of newbie questions. :D

erm... it's here in the netherlands, but they ship to foreign countries aswell. Site is also in English.

->

Radius / Compound radius:

Adjusting the radius / compound radius. Thanks to the unique routing techniques, it is possible to adjust the radius of the fingerboard as wanted by the customer, of course taking into account the restrictions of the instrument.

For the maximum playing comfort the compound radius is used a lot nowadays. The most used compound radius for guitars goes from 10" at the top side to 16 " at the body side.

In this way comfortable playing of full chords at the lower side of the neck can be combined with solo playing at the higher end of the fingerboard without problems of string rasping while bending the strings.

Extremely low string heights without fret rattle is possible, a must for the actual playing techniques. Necks with a compound radius can not be sanded by hand without disturbing the surface of the compound radius.

<-

http://www.voxhumana.nl/uk/ukdewerkplaats1deel1.html

HTH

JP