My first Electric guitar "Fenderesque Tele Lapster"

DocFMF

I have just completed my first electric. It's a Lap Steel Guitar loosely based on a Fender Telecaster. Thus the name Fenderesque Tele Lapster.

The neck/body are made from a cherry board that I have saved since the early 1980's for a special project and the fret board is flame maple. The components are aftermarket tele parts and a roller bridge & string guides. I decided to go "strings through body" for longer sustain. The cherry lends itself to a very bright yet rich tone. I have her tuned to C 6th tuning at this time but I am considering changing the strings for an open D tuning for blues and country music. Besides I already have a C 6th lap steel for Hawaiian and rock use.

20161007_185053_zpsckzviyzn.jpg20161012_140532_zpsxle2aawm.jpg20161012_135721_zpsvfyoec7k.jpg

I would welcome any comments on my latest project.

DocFMF

I used a roll of black automotive pin stripe from Autozone. Then I covered the whole fretboard with 8 coats of clear enamel paint. Then wet sanding to 1000 grit between each coat. It makes the maple look like aged ivory like you would find on a very old piano. It also makes the MOP dots look like they are floating above the surface of the fretboard. On my next one I will use walnut shims if I use a light color fretboard or maple if I go dark. I do have a sweet piece of purple heart that would make a nice fretboard or shims... Thanks now you have me thinking of a next project... LOL!!!

Doc. 

Well as I mentioned earlier... This was my first foray into all electric guitars.... But not my first build. I have built many dulcimers of many styles, two arch top mandolins, a banjo, a ukulele, an electric/acoustic 3 string cedar wine box slide guitar, and even a bowed psalmodicon. I think my favorite instrument in my collection is a Russian balalaika my cousin in Germany sent me after I sent her one of the mandolins I built. I'm considering building a double neck console lap steel next.

Doc20160728_135443_zpsucxysate.jpg

• Like 1

It was not actually a carve. I started with a small (very very sharp) hatchet then shaped it further with a spoke shave. I then pulled out my two hand plane and so on and so on........          OH!?!? WAIT!!!      You meant carve for shape......  DUH!!!  LOL!!!!

I also

20140519_201658.jpg

carve holiday figurines....... Thus my confusion....

Thank you Andy I appreciate your reply

21 hours ago, DocFMF said:

It was not actually a carve. I started with a small (very very sharp) hatchet then shaped it further with a spoke shave. I then pulled out my two hand plane and so on and so on........          OH!?!? WAIT!!!      You meant carve for shape......  DUH!!!  LOL!!!!

I also

20140519_201658.jpg

carve holiday figurines....... Thus my confusion....

Thank you Andy I appreciate your reply

You should do a carve thread next time you do one of those.

I do a little of that myself. My avatar, ol' bear, is documented in a thread in the off topics chat section. Well, most of it is.....the beginning few pages were lost in a site crash a few years back.

It would be cool to see someone else do a carve thread.:)

SR

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by carve thread....  But I am considering attempting to build a 2 neck electric acoustic console lap steel next, I already have the components on order. I'm going to use dual P 90's for the pickups for each neck with a Les Paul style harness. One will be tuned to open D and the other to open G, This one will be a cross between a pedal steel and a lap steel.

I'm considering going rectangular box mode with F holes on each side of the top for the body.

Rather than using actual pedal steel actuators (which are too cumbersome, heavy, and expensive for my use). I will use volume and wah pedals with my Marshall amp to get as close to the true 12 string pedal steel sound as I can get.

Any opinions on this idea?

Doc

Edited by DocFMF

Ahhhhh I see said the blind man. I have never carved anything that large.... I do have to shed a tear for that lovely spalted maple. But it is a very nice carving..... Well done my friend. I do mostly figurines, busts, & Christmas tree ornaments. My favorite carving subjects are my tree spirits. But give me a good looking piece of wood and I'll do something with it. I carry my carving box everywhere. Some days I go to the lake and wander around looking for just the right piece. Then I find a nice shady tree, plop down, & whittle & carve.... It's so nice being retired :)

Doc

20140627_051932.jpg

20140628_173748.jpg

20140705_204627.jpg

20140816_230932.jpg

20140827_062726.jpg

20140804_055655.jpg

Edited by DocFMF
I forgot the pictures the first time.

Nice work. I've never tried any tree spirits--I dunno why, I've always liked them. Ol' bear was by far the biggest thing I've ever tried. I picked up a pecan log that was in a neighbor's front yard waiting to be hauled off. I stuck it in the garage and forgot about it for about 8 years. It wasn't spalted when it went in......

I know what you mean about walking around the country side hunting for a piece that speaks to you.

SR