How Are Those Stew Mac Neck Throughs?

Seems like a somewhat cheaper way to make a neck through guitar. Except, how do you add the wings? Do you just glue them on? I'd probably make it an Ibanez RG copy. With a Floyd Rose PRO trem. I don't know, any thoughts?

Wow, totally cool. Now I'm getting excited about this. I was definitely planning on sanding the heel down, as i was going for a super strat design. That would be OK, right? Also, how do you get the wings on, just Titebond or something?

Wow, totally cool. Now I'm getting excited about this. I was definitely planning on sanding the heel down, as i was going for a super strat design. That would be OK, right? Also, how do you get the wings on, just Titebond or something?

I used Gorilla Glue but I'm sure Tightbond would work. I'm guessing the key would be to make sure the wings are jointed well and the glue is applied evenly.

I'm making my own neck for my next project though.

Mike

titebond is the best glue imo for this application...the thing to remember about gorrilla glue is that the joined pieces should be dampened before jointing,which i find distasteful.(just a personal preference)

but a good snug titebond joint is super strong.

also gorrilla glue foams up and is harder to clean up

EDIT:oh and yes you can shape the heel...

One other thing, if you add a top to it, like say a flamed maple peice, does it get too thick? cause if I went for a fixed strat type bridge- which I can't decide between that and a Floyd - it would then be riding too high off the body i'm guessing. Not a huge deal. a solid color is fine also.

they are both 15" radius...i really think they are exactly the same and made by the same people

I was thinking The same thing. I checked it out and the specs are almost the same between the two. However there are different headstock angles and Stewmac makes no mention of graphite rods. It still is possible that Carvin makes these for Stewmac as a special order.

Carvin's necks are no longer 15" radius. They have now changed to a compound radius (10-14.5 I think) and changed the neck profile to more of a soft "C". If you are looking at Carvin's necks remember that you can get one made with any of the options available on their guitars like wood choices, laminations and frets. They even have stainless steel frets now.

Carvin's web site kinda suck that way. They are very slow to update. On top of that they seem to be very reluctant to admit that they messed with the neck for some reason.

Anyway the word came from the horse's mouth, Carvin's guitar tech, via the Carvin discusion board.

But they are not 15" radius anymore? OK, now I've gone from excited to bummed. I don't care for compound radii. I like real flat boards.

drewblanc, can you link to the thread where this is discussed on carvin?

• 1 month later...

I got some info from Stew Mac, wondering if anyone would like to comment.

I inquired about their Through Body Neck, and they confirmed that it is a Carvin piece. So I asked them specifically, is the radius compound 12" to 14.5" or just 15" all the way up & down the fingerboard. They replied that it is 15" up & down.

So I'm thinking maybe the Carvin NT6 K, which is what Stew Mac has with the paddle headstock, is the same radius it always was. Maybe Carvin didn't change the paddle version?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I havent used the blank as yet, but I have played a few carvins. They play great, and a plus is that they have all the options. You'll pay fll price, but it is worth it.

Is this the same neck through thread or another one just like it? Is the matrix glitching?

It is possible that either stew mac has backstock of the old style or that they are requesting carvin still make them to their specs.

Anyone think we could do a group buy and get a discount price?