Bass Players - 4 or 5 string?

bluespresence

OK, so I got a nice bass in last night that is supposed to be for sale (ha! ha!) but I am having serious doubts about being able to sell it. There is not a thing wrong with it - I just want it for myself B)

It's a Schecter Elite-5 and is beautiful. I have always played 4 string and told myself someday I would grow up and switch to 5 string. I now have that opportunity (to play 5 string, not grow up) but I am not sure what to do....... :D The next difficult piece of the puzzle is that I ordered a RumbleKat today (4 string) 'cause I've been wanting one of them too, but I can't keep both.

Does the "B" add that much to your music or should I stick with the 4 string?

Or should I keep the 5 and a couple of 4's around and just learn the 5 as I go?

I told the wife I'd sell my Grind if I kept the Schecter but I still have 2 more 4's that I play regularly - an acoustic Samick and a Peavey Fury.

AHHHHHHHHH! I hate decisions!

if you play lowered tunings or with a 7 string guitar you'll love the low B

Thanks Scott. I was wondering after I asked if you guitar playing type people like the 7 string which I think gives you the same freedom with drop tuning.

I played it for about 2 hours tonight and I answered my own question.....she stays!!

Oh man....you have a Peavey Grind! Cool! Those have to be like the BEST bang for your buck...ever! Is it awesome?

Yeah! The Grind rocks man!!! It's just beautiful too. I have the imbuya, bubinga one. I love the Peavey necks because they are just tiny thin and super easy on the hands.

She's easy to spot in the crowd here. I only have the Grind and the Fury to the left now. My acoustic wasn't here yet and the purple one is now the Southern Pearl in my avatar (I couldn't see keeping the purple on the mahogany and I didn't want "another" P bass).

105_0578.JPG

Nice collection o.O

I've always wanted a 5 string. a 5 string version of the feather i ordered would be my dream bass :D I don't think i'd ever use the 5th string musically, but for me, it gives me a lot more comfort in playing having a wider neck, and that extra string as a stopper for my fingers while playing fast. It would also prevent me from coming down as hard on the E string.

I don't see myself playing a 6 or 7 string though >.o