fitting a floyd rose, template seems wrong

Hello,

i was using a template that i printed off and it seems out on measurements. i want to have a floyd rose that is level on the body. i followed the template exactly without measuring anything. now, when i fit the neck and measure from the nut to the line i marked it says 25.5 inchs. the line is where the studs go. i have already routed the bridge position. using inkscape and setting the scale, everything looks like the line on the guitar (parallel with the bridge, for two studs) to the nut is 25.5 inches i have no idea if this is correct. from what i have seen it should be 25 inches?

any help would be great

thanks

simon 

To be fair, that drawing doesn't explicitly indicate that the vertical line passing through the posts on the tremolo is the scale length reference line, and nor should it be. If you look at where the saddles are positioned compared to the studs, the last point of contact the strings make with the saddles is a bit further back from that vertical line. The stud line will be a bit closer to the nut.

Have you tried using the template drawings provided here on ProjectGuitar?

http://www.projectguitar.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=2303

It's for a recessed genuine Floyd Rose, so you'd have to make some adaptions to your own situation if you're using a different bridge, but the diagram on page 2 shows the amount of extra distance between the scale length line and the relative position of the two trem posts.

i am a little unsure of my markings. i have now marked what i think is the intonation line. i have measured out 648mm or 25.5 inches from nut to intonation line. i have to fill the hole that i made and cut a new hole. what templates can i use to make a route for a floating bridge, one that goes up and down in pitch? i read somewhere that i can only use two of those templates? i think number 2 and 3?

thanks for the help 

all the best

simon

8 hours ago, simon1138 said:

what templates can i use to make a route for a floating bridge, one that goes up and down in pitch? i read somewhere that i can only use two of those templates? i think number 2 and 3?

Strictly speaking you use all five templates in the PDF file I linked to, but the two critical ones are on pages 2 and 3. Read the full article regarding those templates here before you start routing.

The half-inch discrepancy you originally observed may well be correct for the particular bridge used in those plans you linked to. In the template drawings I linked to the trem studs are 10mm closer to the nut than the scale length point, which is only 2.5mm shorter than what you found. The complicating factor is that you need to account for any differences in the way your own bridge is constructed with respect to the position of the trem posts relative to the forward position of the saddles. I outlined a method for roughly determining this in your previous thread.

• Like 1