Dual coil split and master series/parallel

Ig9

I I found this diagram for a dual coil split wiring with a master series parallel switch and I have a couple questions. Should the circled connection be there? or should that go to ground instead of to the north start? I don't get why you'd want the north and south finish to connect to the north start. Also would this wiring let you simultaneously split the coils and run the two pickups in series? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

564425761_ScreenShot2020-08-30at2_27_15PM.thumb.png.4c863ec51a0d7c32125ef9c3bb9827f0.png

3 hours ago, Ig9 said:

Should the circled connection be there?

Yep.

3 hours ago, Ig9 said:

or should that go to ground instead of to the north start?

Nope. If it did you'd no longer be able to put the upper pickup in series with the bottom one.

3 hours ago, Ig9 said:

I don't get why you'd want the north and south finish to connect to the north start

Because the way it's implementing the coil split function is to short out the unwanted coil to itself. This is necessary if the series/parallel switch is to be used. Shorting out a coil to ground on the upper pickup if in series mode would result in the bottom pickup being completely muted.

Have a closer look at the bottom pickup - the shorting of one coil to itself is the same, the only difference being that the south coil is cut rather than the north.

4 hours ago, Ig9 said:

Also would this wiring let you simultaneously split the coils and run the two pickups in series?

Yes. The two push-pull switches can be used in any combination, although there will be a bit of weirdness regarding the behaviour of the volume pots and 3-way toggle switch when in series mode. If everything is on 10 and the upper pickup is selected, going in to series mode works as expected. The upper volume pot controls the overall volume of the two pickups in series, but the lower volume pot does nothing. If in series mode and the middle (both) pickup position is selected the series function gets a bit weird and the lower volume pot acts as a pseudo-blend between series and parallel while the upper volume pot controls the overall volume of the series chain. If the neck pickup is selected the series function is lost and the operation returns to regular neck pickup operation.

It works, but you have to think a bit about what your controls are doing if you need to do a quick change between pickup selections.

Got it thanks! Wired it up and it works as expected. I was having trouble following the signal path when it was in series and split but now I see how it cuts out the north coil by shorting it rather than sending it to ground. Makes sense now that you explained it.