My first guitar project .. need some help

Hi,

This is my first guitar restoration project. I basically have no experience doing this.

When I was young I purchased a no name guitar for about $30, this was my first guitar but the body was really small so I added sides to it (you will see in  the picture). Also the pickups were really bad. I totally forgot about this guitar until recently when I found it in the attic. So I decided to restore it ,  I repainted it red and already noticed that I should have spent more time sanding it as I can see where the wood putty was.  But as mentioned  this is my first guitar project and I'm sure I will learn a lot doing it.

I would like to replace the pickup and bridge, I  will add a picture of the old pickup and bridge and guitar. I do not want to spend a lot of money on it as this more a practice run for other builds that I would like to do in the future. There is no cavity in the body for the pickup, it sits on the guitar body,  so what king of pickup would be good for this ?

Same thing for the bridge, what king of bridge would fit on this guitar ..

This is what I was going to buy from Amazon .. but I have no idea if this will fit or not.

Pickup - Wilkinson Low Gauss Iconic Sound Ceramic P90 Dogear Style Single Coil Bridge Pickup for SG/LP Electric Guitar,

Bridge - Musiclily 65mm Metal Fixed Hardtail Saddle Top Load Guitar Bridge for 6 String Fender Strat Tele Electric Guitar,Black

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

redguitar.jpg

guitarpickup.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Restoring your first love can indeed be rewarding and also fun to follow.

If the rectangles on the lower picture are the original pickups I must say they look very strange! More than that they also look very thin! It also seems that the body and neck are in line with no neck break angle. That means that there's not much space between the body and the strings. Although the dogear pickup is low, will it fit under the strings. The hardtail bridge isn't too high and it can't be for keeping the action low enough. By measuring three of my bolt-on necked guitars there's only 8 mm free space at the most below the strings.

That said, if you're willing to change the looks even more, routing or carving a pickup cavity would solve that issue. A soapbar P90 sunk into the body would be adjustable and sound similar to the dogear version.