DIY cast shellac pickguard?

ok this is a test-I read that Bakelite was invented as an alternative to shellac-so it gave me an idea to try to make a pickguard by casting shellac. Also the marble/tortoise pickguard sheets available are expensive and not quite to my liking.

So I poured some cheapo Zinnser shellac into a yogurt lid to a ~1/8” depth, marbled 2 colors together a little bit, and now we’re waiting for it to dry. Who knows what’s gonna happen.. has anybody done this? Would love to hear.

oh yes and I made a mess.. just pretend it’s not there. anyway a little more finish on my workbench can’t hurt

BDED3022-6FED-4129-91DB-99F9084EEAE6.thumb.jpeg.acc94619d35cf06e1eb2b90abecae44c.jpeg

• Like 2

Probably a good idea as this is not even close to dry! Although the stuff around the outside edges where I spilled a little and in the mixing container is super brittle-this is not likely to work well once it does finally dry. I read that old shellac records had all kinds of mineral filler to compensate for this.  

I saw a tdpri thread linked to an old PG thread where somebody did their own guards & other components out of epoxy. Worth a look!  https://www.tdpri.com/threads/epic-knobs-for-andy-brainy.655962/page-32

Ok this is from test 2-I am now the proud owner of a tiny gummy flimsy brown rectangle-but it may be a start.

I mixed in a little corn starch as filler, and I poured a thinner layer. It still took 2 days to get to this level of dryness at 1/16” thick or less. I think the issue is that shellac is an aerobic cure and pouring it so thick means that there is a great deal of shellac not receiving any oxygen. So next I will try many micro layers and see where I get. 

I think there is still drying to do. It’s about as flexible as a sheet of rubber and feels gummy but it did cut with an exact and it did come out of the mold just fine. 

05AB9F45-27BE-4A15-A6E1-84D684ECD5D9.jpeg

I also tried pulling out some of test one but it’s still a gummy mess. It may never dry

Edited by Charlie H 72
  • Like 1