Thd Yellow Jacket

syxxstring

thanks lovecraft.

I played out with the mesa thursday and people thought we were playing new material. the older mesa is fab but just not a great giging amp.

I love el84's. I have a couple of power amps and the mesa studio 22. I'll probably buy a set of yellow jackets soon. Just to have around for the aditional tone choice.

I bought a pair several years ago, but have yet to even take them out of the box.

I am as amp-project compulsive as I am guitar-building compulsive, hehehe...

But I do have 2 old amps ('60's Magnatone M-10's) that use EL-84 type power tubes, so I'm familiar with the tone, I love that tone too. Smoother, warmer, more overall compressed, sweeter at lower volumes, I dig 'em. :D

The THD jobs will go into most of my old Fenders, but I just haven't gotten around to giving them a test-run yet.

EL-84 tone will sometimes get lost in the mix, 'cuz it's not quite as 'hi-fi' as 6L6's, doesn't quite have the creamy overdrive of EL-34's, and you gotta have the right type of speakers to go along with it to get it to punch thru. It's more of a 'punchy' overdrive rather than the cream of an EL-34 Marshall.

3-10 open-backed cabs are my favorite setup with EL-84's generally (or 4-10 would be nice too I guess, I prefer a 3-10 tho) My experience is that 12's get a little too undefined, kinda mushy w/ EL-84's...10's help the cut. At least that's my experience with them in the amps I have.