Tele Monstrosity

komodo

8 hours ago, Drak said:

Why do you need a reason, or even an excuse, to simply throw something away?

Despite us being of same age, I suppose families here were much less wealthy than over there when we were kids. Saving and reusing everything was and still is common practice among people over fifty. Inheriting hundreds of washed youghurt beakers is still not uncommon - fortunately my parents sold their house and moved to a smaller apartment...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Despite us being of same age, I suppose families here were much less wealthy than over there when we were kids. Saving and reusing everything was and still is common practice among people over fifty. Inheriting hundreds of washed youghurt beakers is still not uncommon - fortunately my parents sold their house and moved to a smaller apartment...

I get that, I understand your point, but yet I don't agree with it. You would be mistaken about the wealth factor being the hinge pin difference here. If you are submitting that wealthy(-er, which I am not, and don't come from) people, simply by virtue of their wealth, have either no respect for, or value in, objects. I would submit the 'wealthy' live by their objects, that's where all their inherent value is placed, in 'things', which is 180 degrees out of order. You take all their 'stuff' away from them and they can go seriously suicidal.

I would instead call it mental conditioning, or lack thereof (follow me for a brief moment here).  A purposely mentally toughened mind has the ability to rid itself of old belief systems and adopt new ones. That are far more congruent and beneficial to life in the right here and now, in the present moment. A toughened mind asks questions and demands beneficial answers, and rejects old ideas if they are of no further use in the present moment. The brain, otherwise left unattended, will always naturally revert back to its old neural pathways from childhood, the basic recorded programming architecture from 0-8 years old, more or less. Especially if any sort of trauma drove those beliefs in deep (like suffering or going w/o food from being poor is a recorded trauma of sorts).

So I see your point, but I would counter with the question: What benefit are those (possibly trauma-driven) belief systems serving you right here, today? To not allow yourself to throw things away? Or is the brain just playing back 50-year old messages in a non-stop loop based on conditions that no longer exist? You see, I find those beliefs a sort of self-bondage, especially if feelings of guilt are what are being avoided, where instead I choose the freedom to make new decisions that agree with me, with no guilt attached. The emotionally-programmed brain, if left unattended, will always fight against a change in the status quo, as its programmed for survival, which is serious business to it.

So to say 'you're an American, where wealth just washes over everyone', would be a catastrophic mistake, it's not true and it paints with an extremely broad brush and points outward instead of inward, where change can occur.

This is all just for fun, of course, I'm not drawing any lines in the sand here, everyone obviously is entitled to their own viewpoints, and everyone has their own mental conditioning, its part of human nature.

All good points, the younger generations already have grown to toss away things they don't need so the mental environment has surely changed. 

About a nation being more or less wealthy, in the post war world there was those who had to pay and those who received. Agreed, having to pay war reparations gave a boost to the industry, everyone had a job etc. but there was lack of everything as most of what was produced was sent to the winning team. And of course there was the Karelians who had to be situated somewhere since the USSR needed their homes and land.

As recently as in 1980's there was still households without a water closet. Back in 1994 when we bought this house the water supply renovation was already done but the 40 litres hot water boiler served the kitchen and toilet sinks only. For washing there was a big enameled cast iron pot embedded on a fireplace in the sauna which has no other heating than the stove. Of course we built a shower indoors before moving in but the previous owner was mostly happy with how things had been since her husband built the house in 1952. The reason for her to sell the house was that there's six steps at the front door which weren't too easy to climb with a wheel chair. Shoveling snow may also have been a challenge.

There's a couple of things that are "free" in Texas compared to Finland. If you build a house you don't have to insulate it much against frost. You don't have to dig the water pipes six feet underground to prevent them from freezing. Nor do you have to build houses or roads or railroads so that ground frost doesn't move them. Nor do you have to put new tarmac on busier roads every second year just because the spikes of winter tyres have chewn the old off. That makes building and maintaining infrastructure a lot cheaper which should also mean lower taxes which in turns leaves more money to the people.  Oh, and if you say that you have floods, so do we. The Ostrobotnian rivers tend to flood almost every spring when the ice and snow melt but the frozen ground can't suck the water in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Drak said:

so we shall leave it at that

I already thought I'd like to toss a couple of my posts away... But due to my nature I decided to save them to torture the potential future readers 😈

Let's wait how the original subject continues!

Love the free thinking discourse, it's a bit heavy-handed for what we have here. It's not even a build thread or a proper build really. This is not really about the guitar object itself, it's more like exercise. I'm negating other life stressors, screwing around, and having fun. I've got no preconceived notions, and no real goal other than to see what I'll do with the parts laying around here.

• Like 1